Taking the plunge - Mods

Have recently received full CMBO (v.1.1) and having gone through this board I am going to have a dabble this weekend.

My plan is to: download 1.12; download PC Mod-manager; download 1.0f? patch, start with MDMPs 1 & 2 and then start a combination of terrain updates from DD, Tiger etc and finally vehicles from across the range. It may be I'm going the wrong/long way about it though - any views appraciated - before I start. I understand some of the mods come with batch files for swapping - these sound a little trickier.

Batch files are really easier than they appear.

What you do is to copy all of the necessary bmps into the bmp folder. That is is that the bmps will have suffixes at the end of the bmp #. Such as 3060_us.bmp, 3060_uk.bmp and so forth.

Now what the batch files will do is that depending whatever one you run, it deletes the basic bmp, then copies in the suffixed bmp as the basic bmp. In other words, it renames the suffixed file to the regular file as CM only recoginizes plain numbers.

Now as for how to set up the batch files, that's pretty easy as well. Also each mod that comes with batch files also contain icons for the shortcuts that you will create.

Now, to set up the batch files, you do the following:

Copy all batch files into the root directory of CMBO. Also copy the icons there too just for convenience sake. Now, create shortcuts to each batchfile. (ie. Right-click on the batch file, select "Create Shortcut"). Then to replace the generic MS-DOS icon, right-click on the shortcut and select "Properties" Select the "Program" tab. Click the "Change Icon" button. Browse to the CMBO folder and select the appropriate icon and then select "OK" a few times to close-out the Properties window. Your shortcut should now change to the newly selected icon. Now drag the shortcut to your desktop. I have a Desktop Folder set up called Combat Mission. In it I have a shortcut to the CMBO.exe and to all of the mod batch files that I have as follows:

View?u=1304730&a=9683026&p=43971713&Sequence=0&res=high

Will certainly look forward to the 'booklet' coming out. I presume MDMP1 & 2 are still worth getting. I liked the look of OldDog terrain at CM Outpost. It seems, from the commentary, that it is necessary to download DDs terrain mods first though and then use the OldDog ones to modify them. Is that right?