Not-so-friendly fire

Hello, everyone. Just curious if anyone has seen friendly fire in CM?

I'm not talking about an infantry platoon taking a casualty because a tank fired too close or something like that. Here's the scenario.

Quick battle featuring the Waffen SS vs. Canadian forces with the SS on the defensive. Well, let's just say that I "miscalculated" the overall strength of the onrushing Canadians and by turn 20 or so things were pretty well over. Here's the interesting part. A rifle squad had been taking fire and was low on ammo so I pulled them back to a safer position. At the same time I pulled a beaten up MG42 crew out of the same area. Well, when the rifle squad reached their house, they turned around and opened fire on the MG42 crew! :eek:

I checked, checked, and rechecked that targeting line. There were no hidden canadian units around the MG42 (none within 100M or so) and it was quite distinctly a red line from the rifle squad to the MG42 crew when the rifle squad was selected.

Anyone seen this and/or know why it happened?

Chuckd

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuckd:

Anyone seen this and/or know why it happened?

Chuckd<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The RL explanation would be that the rifle squad thought the MG team were Canadians.

This happens more often at night. Was the scenario/QB a night battle?

I recently saw friendly fire in a night QB. One squad of crack US paras was in a captured foxhole in woods when a second US squad moved up on its right flank, just at the edge of visibility. The first squad turned toward the second and fired a couple of times before turning back to its front.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CMplayer:

Was the scenario/QB a night battle?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Come to think of it, it was, yes. However, I was playing this scenario with only Partial fog-of-war. Odd.

Never even thought about that.

Thanks

Chuckd

I was about to post a question on this topic myself as to whether friendly fire was modelled. I have been play testing a night scenario this week and I have noticed that on several occasions my US Infantry opened fire on each other. I was a little amazed because after playing CM for a year I hadn't noticed this before and was wondering if it was a glitch, my imagination or something intentional - whatever, I was pleasantly (or possibly unpleasantly) surprised by this 'new' feature of the game!

Of course, if your troops open fire on their own side during a turn, there's not alot you can do about that.

Am playing QB attack, as British, at night, and have just had a 'messy' turn. Firstly a german flamethrower unit inside a house just shot at my platoon HQ, also inside the house - and the house goes up. :rolleyes:

My platoon and HQ rush outside, only to be mown down by a second platoon surrounding the house. This turn I have lost my PIAT, 2" mortar, HQ, and 11 of 20 soldiers. :eek:

Two pronged US attack up a hill to take Chupacabra's positions, and after wipping out quickly the shellshocked units up there my guys kept on firring.. AT EACH OTHER!

I think they took 3 or 4 casualties, hte stupid bastards smile.gif

So yeah it does happen. Probably worse when two different formations (eg, two platoons) are approaching and experience is low.

PeterNZ