T17E1 = Daimler?!?!

I am currently reading a book called "Standard Guide to U.S. WWII Tanks & Artillery" and in it has a section about armored cars.

It mentions the Chevrolet built T17E1 that was designed after British armored cars. The US army rejected it but apperantly 2500 were sent to Britain with 1500 having 37mm guns and 1000 with turreted twin .50 AA guns. From the detailed illustration it looks like the Daimler. Was this the Daimler, or was the Daimler built seperately?!?! I am assuming seperate since the Daimler sports a 40mm gun.

Just curious.

Kong

No, those were called the "Staghound" in British service. The UK built Daimlers came out earlier, in time for the North Africa fighting, while the Brits only got the Stags in Italy in 1943. The Daimler had a 2 lber (40mm, Brit made ATG) while the Stags had a US built 37mm like on Stuarts.

Most "Stags" were actually issued to commonwealth troops - Indian, New Zealand, and Canadian. The Staghound was a larger vehicle, with a more heavily armored turret in particular (~32mm of armor, light tank rather than halftrack thickness).

The Staghounds weren't accepted because they are rather large and heavy for a light armored car, especially a 4-wheeled one. It weighed almost twice as much as the more thinly armored M-8 Greyhound, which has 6 wheels too for better off-road mobility.

I hope this helps.

I've always been fond of the Staghound and was disappointed the beast didn't make the cut for CM1. It was large (thought the prototype 8x8 'Boarhound' was MUCH larger). As a side note, prototypes for the Vietnam-era Commando 4x4 AC can be seen in 1963 photos running on old Staghound tires!

Cool.. thanks guys for the info. I have heard the Staghound name before... but was not sure what it was. It is a beast for an AC. I know the Brit's loved the Daimler and it seems the Canuck's loved their Stag's!