Ending Arty Barrages

All the WWII books I have read always mention infantry advancing towards the enemy under arty cover and when they got close the FOs would end the barrage.

Couldn´t we have a command-like pause for example-that orders the FOs to stop the barrage in 15, 30, or 45 secs so we can coordinate the attack better and get our troops upon the enemy when it is still shocked and stunned?

What do you think? :D

You can actually coordinate an infantry attack with an arty barrage. The trick is moving the infantry while your arty is still firing. smile.gif

Hm, easy said, I know. So it depends how far your infantry is away from their objective. If your infantry is about 100-200m away, then just order them to advance to their objective. At the end of that turn they will be near the objective but (hopefully) still not in your arty target area. Then cancel or shift the barrage and your infantry should reach their objectives with minimal losses and while the enemy is still hugging the ground.

It takes quite some time to get the right "feeling" for coordinating such attacks. Play too safe and and the arty barrage ends with your troops too far away from the enemy who will recover and hit your infantry. Move your men to close to the arty barrage and you will get some naste friendly fire problems...

But it is truly awarding to perform a perfect coordinated infantry/arty assault!

I've always had the opposite problem.

How do you keep up the barrage over a 500m wide front for some 10+ turns while moving the infantry into position?

Most arty units run out of ammo too soon, and/or you'll need more than one FO to target the same spot at once to get a decent ROF.

Cheers

Olle