Anyone want a peanut?--Why no pachyderms on the West Front?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael emrys:

It isn't hard to imagine why they were used in the East. The question in my mind is why any were sent to Italy.

Michael<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In Italy there was little room for flanking attacks on mountain roads and valleys, so a vehicle with no turret but extremely thick armor would work well in such terrain. If you want to see more about them, read the thread BTS started a few days ago asking for info on them.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by panzerwerfer42:

In Italy there was little room for flanking attacks on mountain roads and valleys, so a vehicle with no turret but extremely thick armor would work well in such terrain.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

On the other hand, it has been identified as best utilized for long range tank sniping and I would expect the fighting in Italy to be rather more close in. Add to that the nightmare of trying to maneuver one of those beasts on mountain roads and over innumerable small, lightly-built bridges and it doesn't make much sense. So my guess is their use must have been strictly limited to conditions that were favorable to them, somewhere where they could get a long shot on fairly open, solid terrain.

Michael

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Victor Semensi:

I would gladly give up the Super Pershing slot in the game code for one of an M16. Wasn't only one Super Pershing ever built or used in combat?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe there were 2 built, but they certainly never saw combat.