QO's ("quick" operations) and campaigns in CM2?

Greetings,

Would anyone else like to see an option for the computer to generate random operations (similiar to QB's)? I suppose "quick" is somewhat of an oxymoron when used with regards to operations.

Also, I'm aware of the many reasons why a "campaign" feature wasn't offered in CM -- and I agree with them. Unfortunately, I just can't help but think how fun/cool it would be if you were able to participate in QB's (and QO's??) that were "pieces" of a much larger engagement.

And lastly, I'm sure this info has been covered and discussed many, many times in the past. It's for that reason I took the liberty of writing a flame to myself -- and passing the savings onto you smile.gif

Thoughts?

Out,

Volstag

[ 05-09-2001: Message edited by: Volstag ]

I love campaigns, and pine for them everday. It is integral to ANY game that hopes to have a strong "single-player" option.

In fact, about the only games on the market (ALL GAMES) that don't have a single player campaign option are the cheaper FPS's.

I understand there reasoning, of course, but GEEZ, why so harsh? Throw us a bone.

....and horses, lots of horses......

........ :D

You damn hardcore "realism-at-any-cost" people, I just don't understand you. Can you honestly look me in the eye and tell me you didn't enjoy the epic war campaign of Panzer General?

And can you honestly tell me that the idea of taking your mech. infantry "Spearhead" battalion with an armoured company attached all the way from the Polish Border to the Banks of the Volga at the head of 6th Army would not make your blood tingle?

Can you honestly tell me that? That's all I'm asking, and that's allI would want...

I love campaigns, and pine for them everday. It is integral to ANY game that hopes to have a strong "single-player" option-Panzer leader

Well said!

Accuracy has to be bent and broken in several areas to accommodate code. Why not bend it in favor of re-playability as well?

Space on the CD?? There's enough space for PC AND MAC programs...

That's not what it is. The reason, as expressed by BTS and many (but not the majority) of gamers here is that it is unrealistic to expect a single small unit (like CM represents) to fight in a great number of battles.

My answer is: So what!?!? Many small units DID do it, and the benefits in ACTUAL gameplay outweiigh any PERCEIVED negatives.

Humph...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Panzer Leader:

That's not what it is. The reason, as expressed by BTS and many (but not the majority) of gamers here is that it is unrealistic to expect a single small unit (like CM represents) to fight in a great number of battles.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I understand the reasoning for not making a campaign center around a specific company / captain -- and from a realism standpoint it makes perfect sense.

But who says it has to be the same company (batallion, etc) every engagement? You simply jump into the shoes of whoever happens to be engaged during each particular fight.

First of all, my knowledge of WWII, while adequate, is not enough to compete with some of you folks on here... so if I say anything that sounds ignorant/foolish it's because, well, it is smile.gif

Anyway, I envision another "layer" being built on top of the current engine. Say at the brigade level (higher? lower?). During the "campaign", this force (whatever it happens to be) would be tasked with a mission appropriate to its size. Now perhaps you, as the player, get a list of various companies / battalions (I suppose it should be at a set level of organization.. i.e. only battalions or only companies, etc) and their tasks for a given period of time. The player then could select which companies/battalions he wishes to take through their missions... be it all of them, or a handful of them... while the AI would play the other missions/units. The various missions could vary in size from a simple 20 turn QB, to a multi-day operation.

I realize that there was plenty of downtime between actual fights... and creating a historically accurate "campaign" might be a chore, but again, I can't help but think how fun it would be. In the back of my mind, I'm always wishing there was some level of "campaign" support in this game (despite all the messy details).

Maybe it doesn't make much sense... but I still would love to see Quick Operations (edit: and it seems like it would be fairly easy to implement).

Out,

Volstag