Hotmail frustration

Aside from zipping the file up, has anyone figured out a way to extract the attachment from the email? Hotmail always wants to open up the file for viewing. I've tried renaming and sending but it still sees it as text..I'm sure this has been encountered before and I hate having to tell my PBEM partners to keep zipping up files (specially those <10k ones)..figured I'd give the forum a try before I et a new email address with someone else..Tx

Had the same problem myself. The best way to do it is actually to save the file directly from IE, if you can. you do this by opening the file..and if it displays on the first window along with the rest of the email, you can click on "File" then "save as", then change your directory, name of file and save it as a TXT file.

if you only see an attachment and it opens it in another window, unfortunatelly I found no way of doing the above. I just copied the file and pasted to Notepad then save it as a txt file. a bunch of other things but none worked.

might be best then to get different email where attachments can be saved directly.

ahh the pains of microshaft... Muhahahaha.. bill suxs. but all those microshaft users have exepted difficult times and bugs.. so don't worry mate all those problems are considered normal for MS product users....

[This message has been edited by mensch (edited 01-10-2001).]

I use hotmail through microsoft outlook express and have no troubles with it,no having to cut and paste,or zip files.If you don't have that, heres a good free email that has no hassles with attachments... www.mailandnews.com

[This message has been edited by JAZZA (edited 01-10-2001).]

Most email programs have an option to have attachments part of the email message. For instance, if you use Eudora, there is a box that you have to uncheck in the preferences in order to avoid this. I believe it is the RECEIVER of the email that has to do this.This has nothing to do with the mail server.

Henri

You might also want to check that your opponent does not send out plain text attachments as HTML. Or in the body of the message. That does a number on ALL uncompressed text file attachments.

Thanks for all the quick responses..I also wrote MS but since they admitted it was a limitation, I wont persue it anymore..this is actually a 'new feature' of HM...not all that is new is better I guess....excluding CM 1.1, of course!! I think I'm going to try to set it up via Outlook..or get a real email...!!

Hey, pktaske!

My connection died on me the other night, don't know why.

If you want to finish our game sometime, drop me an e-mail. I have the file saved.

WWB

------------------

Before battle, my digital soldiers turn to me and say,

Ave, Caesar! Morituri te salutamus.

Chupacabra,

pasting to Wordpad is ok, however, I found it tedious because what I initially had to to was to copy/paste to Word, then reformat the size of the entire document to 8 (font size) then copy/paste to wordpad then save it. What a pain!!! I was doing this every night with about 5-7 PBEM's!!!. Now have new email addrr and I'm Living it wildly!

As a Hotmail user myself, I understand your frustration. First is to have your opfor zip the file first, which I am glad most of my fellow opfors are doing pretty well. OTOH, if you receive a text file, I always copy-and-paste the contents to a text editor (like UltraEdit or ViM) and save it.

But text file is just a very minor problem with Hotmail....

Griffin.

------------------

"When you find your PBEM opportents too hard to beat, there is always the AI."

"Can't get enough Tank?"

As someone who uses an ISP and has played hotmail users on occasion, can I just say that I hate the 1MB file size limit.

Thanks, just wanted to get that off my chest.

------------------

"Moriarty, you suck." -- Dunno, but somebody must've said it somewhere along the line

[This message has been edited by Moriarty (edited 01-11-2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chupacabra:

The trouble with cut and paste is that many PBEM files are larger than notepad seems to want to deal with. And pasting them into Wordpad is A Bad Idea.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I use Editpad Classic. A fully functional freeware text editor that's vastly superior to Notepad. You can check it out here http://www.jgsoft.com/