suggestion - train tracks!

Pud

Gyrene

With those excellent tracks of yours, how about the following.

The track intersection (two tracks crossing each other at 90 degrees) since I have never seen this occur (well not in my 38 year of living through australia) how about replacing this tile with one that has roads crossing the tracks? Given the shear number of roads out their this will make quite a few option files. If it could be setup for the plugin thing (sorry its name escapes me as I dont use it) would be good for the "lazy modsluts" amongst us.

Ok that small bit of road will be treated as tracks by the game engine but it makes more sense to be a road/track intersectionas opposed to a track/track intersection. It will be of use to map designers to.

[edit - this wont work as will need two files for each intersection, depending N-S or E-W tracks, shame about that]

[ 11-16-2001: Message edited by: Pud ]</p>

Pud,

Excellent suggestion. The only problem is:

Which road? Paved, dirt? Original, or one of the mods? Maybe the thing to do is have Gyrene do just the "crossing" part (which I believe is usually wood or steel), and/or with the BTS roads and then provide that to the road-modders to let them do versions that match their road sets.

Unless Gyrene and the road modders would prefer that he do all the work. :D

Gordon

Ok, it does work although the tile will have to be in two forms an N-S and a W-E versions.

Gordon - I think it should be the responsibility of the road makers to do it and to perhaps forward the end result to Gyrene to include in his zip?

Heres one of my raods done. Well needs track crossing change, no idea what that looks like, perhaps as Gordon suggests, Gyrene, could you do the track crosssing and leave the road to the road author

trackroad.jpg

Hows all this sit with you Gyrene?

It's a great idea!, I like the idea of using one of the paved/dirt intersections for the mod so vehicles won't bog down so much.

I can do a road/track intersection easily enough, I'd need to hook up with a road modder to get the correct shades for the dirt or pavement.

Gyrene

If you could do a striaght bit of track (and one at 45 degrees for the other intersection) with the track crossing, that way the road modders can add in their road. I think from memory there around around 6 different dirt roads and around 4 paved roads mods out there. If you can email me the track crossing when done I will return it with my roads and perhaps be included in a "tracksoptions.zip"

Or

if you prefer I can send you astraigth bit of road, do you prefer paintshop or photoshop format.

Looks nice, real nice.

I'm wondering though about using the road tile aproach, as a vehicle should have a small chance of boging when crossing tracks to simmulate what happens if you go across a rough crossing too fast. In rural areas, and to a lessor degree in urban areas here in the U.S. vehicles have to slow down to go across train tracks or risk blowing a tire. My guess is same thing in Europe, maybe more in mid to late 40's train crossings.

The visual is nice, but it's unrealistic to go full out across the tracks.

Yes it will be a purely cosmetic thing, the game will still think you are crossing a track intersection. Thats a game engine issue which cant be gotten around. Hopefully in CMBB there will be more tiles , one for paved and dirt roads crossing track. BTS??

Pud, I put together a kit with the straight and diagonal Photoshop files like you wanted, it should have everything need to integrate my tracks with existing road .BMP's

I'm emailing you the link where you can get it, the file is 4.8MB

If any other modders would like to have the file, please email me for the link.

Looking forward to the results!

Gyrene