With the new patch, is it possible to fire into smoke?

Of course not. Smoke is used for cover, and there would be no point to using it if it couldn't keep the enemy from shooting at you.

Don't know if you've ever seen a smoke flare (I'm assuming smoke grenades or rounds are about the same), but there is no way you can see through the smoke well enough to shoot anything. It's really dense.

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska

I think what he means is can you "area target" threw smoke. This SHOULD be in. Whilst you can't see threw smoke you may in fact know or suspect that enemy forces are on the other side and thus wish to fire into the general area. Smoke in CM is like an instant brick wall proving 100% cover from direct fire which makes it a bit unrealistic.

[This message has been edited by KiwiJoe (edited 01-11-2001).]

I'm more concerned with antipersonnel fire into smoke. You should be able to fire HMGs through smokescreens to set up crossing barriers of grazing fire through which the enemy infantry must advance. You should also be able to fire mortars into or behind smokescreens.

I'd do both of these with the same these features as with on-map mortars and TRPs. With the TRPs, mortars can use them provided they don't move after the set-up phase. Same thing with the smoke. If the HMG or mortar hasn't moved, it should be assumed that it has pre-ranged data to shoot at out there where the smoke is likely to be. And they should be able shoot there without need of HQ units.

------------------

-Bullethead

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there is bacteria.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KiwiJoe:

I think what he means is can you "area target" threw smoke. This SHOULD be in. Whilst you can't see threw smoke you may in fact know or suspect that enemy forces are on the other side and thus wish to fire into the general area. Smoke in CM is like an instant brick wall proving 100% cover from direct fire which makes it a bit unrealistic.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm, good point. However, suppose I fired some smoke rounds right in front of your tanks? You couldn't see well enough to conduct any area fire at all. CM treats area fire as firing at a 15m area, which is impossible to hit at 100m or more when you're blinded.

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska

Guest Germanboy

Funny how often this one creeps up. In Real Life™ you could fire through smoke. In Real Life™ you also did have relative spotting. In CM you have absolute spotting, therefore you can not have firing through smoke. It is either one or the other. It would not be area fire if you could see the guys on the other side of the smoke, now would it?

The other fancy HMG stuff mentioned by BH: Steve stated that they wanted to put in fire lanes and whatnot at the start, IIRC. Unfortunately it turned out too much of a CPU hit to do this. There was a thread about this not too long ago.

Edit for the mess I made of rel and abs spotting. My excuse is that I am under medication for a bad cold. Thanks Chub.

------------------

Andreas

Der Kessel

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

[This message has been edited by Germanboy (edited 01-12-2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Germanboy:

In Real Life™ you also did not have relative spotting. In CM you have relative spotting, therefore you can not have firing through smoke<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Change that to absolute spotting wink.gif

------------------

Soy super bien soy super super bien soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super