Arty IIlumination Rounds

To the CMBB Team:

Any thoughts to adding illumination round effects to CMBB? In a similar manner to smoke obscuring limited areas, these rounds would illuminate certain areas of the mapboard for a designated time period.

Or does this capability already exist in CM and I'm too dumb to have recognized it? ;)

No fear, your not too dumb..

Artificial battlefield illumination is not modelled in CM. It seems it was just one of those things that just had to be left for lack of time or technical difficulties.

As far as I know it has not been among the new features presented for CM:BB

Historically it would be correct to include it though. So we'll just have to hope for the inclusion in the CMII engine rewrite smile.gif

M.

It's been mentioned before as far too complicated for anything but a complete engine rewrite.

You not only have to figure out what region is illuminated (and how much, for how long), but you also have to figure out things like the effects on vision on the people in the illuminated area (Will it hurt their night vision? How much? Should the effects persist for X seconds when the light finally dims?), the effects of terrain (ridges blocking the light...), and so forth.

Nasty problem, if you want to be thorough and precise about it. Considering that for now, vehicles are basically point objects and you can shoot "through" them (Take a completely level road, 500m in length. Fill half of it with PzIVs, the other half with M4A1s, all facing the enemy. On a clear day they will ALL be able to shoot at each other, "through" friendlies, which probably shouldn't happen... This also leads to oddities like infantry hiding behind vehicles and pillboxes don't get any additional cover, and so forth.), there are probably bigger but very closely related (again, 3D models and line-of-sight calculations and all that) fish to fry, as well.

And by the rewrite is done, maybe the baseline computer will actually be able to handle all that math... smile.gif

I remember from posts long ago that the problem would be with dynamic lighting. It really wouldn't be feasible for CMBB, but an engine rewrite later on might make this work. Search the Combat Mission Archive #2 (2000) and you'll get a better answer than I can give you. There are multiple posts on this very subject.