Armor Penetration - No Effect?

I was wondering if someone could give me a better explanation of the physics when a tank receives a penetrating hit but it has no effect (plus no crew casualties). What does this simulate in real life ? Does the AP (or whatever other ammo is used) round simply not hit any vulnerable components? Does it go in one side, out the other? I would think that any penetration would be very disconcerting for the crew members.

Well the only real story I could comment on this the suggestion that the Stuart was so lightly armoured that an 88mm AP round could go straight through the front and back of the turret without causing any collateral damage.

There is a story on this board of someone who quotes his uncle being in that Stuart and realizing after the action ahs concluded, that the round had gone right through his turret with no further damage than two new holes.

IS on here some where Search for Turret and Stuart and Uncle I think?

-tom w

I have had this happen quite frequently when playing Shermans against guns which barely over match their armour like a 75mm at medium range.

This is fairley realistic, there are numerous case of penetrated tanks continuing fighting. There are many cases of rounds passing through vehicles,if the round doesn't hit anyone or any vital componets and doesn't explode there is a chance the vehicle will be unimpaired in combat.

In the 1967 Isreali war I did hear of a Centurian recieving three penetrating hits at close range from a T62, These rounds passed through the turret and the Centurian knocked out the enemy vehicle and continue fighting

Explosives can be funny in general. A hand grendate fragment can kill you at 100 yards, and completely miss you at 2 feet. I've read of a first-hand account (the person saw this), where during training a grenade exploded INSIDE the tank's turret. The loader got a light wound in the arm, the commander was completely untouched. Both were a little concussed, obviously.