Noisy machinery

I was wondering if CM models engine noise. Does it make a difference in the ability of the enemy to identify armour if you race everything at a fast speed? Or, conversly does it help to disguise advancing armour by moving it as opposed to speeding it?

I think the only consideration CM gives to this is that when you "hide" a vehicle its engine idles down to help conceal it. Otherwise I don't believe it makes a difference. However, a vehicle moving quickly is more easily spotted (visually) than a vehicle moving slowly, AFAIK.

I believe it does make a difference. For example, I have achieved great success with hunting the Allied tanks with cheap, inexpensive Stugs. I use the Hunt command and proceed to move my Stug into light trees. If the Stug sees the enemy armor, I can usually get off - get this - 2 to 3 shots before the enemy tanks even see where its coming from.

I tried the same routine with Move or Fast Move. It doesnt work nearly as well, and the Stug is always seen by the enemy no matter where its moving from. Especially if the enemy is not too far off.

Maybe Im confusing engine mechanics here, but it seems the modeling is as it should be.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The Commissar:

I believe it does make a difference. For example, I have achieved great success with hunting the Allied tanks with cheap, inexpensive Stugs. I use the Hunt command and proceed to move my Stug into light trees. If the Stug sees the enemy armor, I can usually get off - get this - 2 to 3 shots before the enemy tanks even see where its coming from.

I tried the same routine with Move or Fast Move. It doesnt work nearly as well, and the Stug is always seen by the enemy no matter where its moving from. Especially if the enemy is not too far off.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

THat's odd... shouldn't hunt movement create more engine noise? You are moving faster, after all.

You do gain some benefit from the hunt by calling a halt as soon as an enemy is seen so that it starts shooting sooner.