CM review up at SimHQ.com

Spoons,

Personaly I'm an idiot.

But I think that is a great review. All aspects are very well covered, nice screen shots, and you can tell the reviewer actualy spent some quality time with the game.

Great job.

Lorak

------------------

"someone you trust is one of us"..........the illuminati

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/combatmissionclub

Lorak's FTX for CM <--Proud member of the Combat Mission Webring

Your review was very gratifying to those of us who have been rooting for this game, sometimes for years. The marketing scheme is a very interesting approach and so far has exceeded the expectations. As it forestalls the walk-in causal buyer in the retail outlets, and has virtually a zero advertising budget word of mouth and reviews on the net and in publications are its life blood. That it has appeal to both those who revel in military details and to those could not care less, it is really special. If any game has a chance with this marketing approach this one has - at least in my lowly view.

As I have not played some of the games with lower demands on the hardware game wise, so that they can go stronger on the graphics; to me comments that the graphics are less than the greatest seem hollow. That is just my state of ignorance. To me they are beautiful. The 3d aspect is so strong that whatever improvements in appearance are possible are easy to overlook. I think most players could have a list of things they would like to see, some of which may even get implemented in the future. But, as is, it is so much more than previously available that such matters surface only slowly. I think that the kinds of improvements floating around are a great tribute to CM in that they often constitute matters of such detail, that would never surface in other games.

John, that was a very well done and balanced review of a fine game. It spoke to the high points and mentioned the points that seem to be commonly mentioned as problems with the game. While most of us on this board don't see them as more than minor annoyances, they are larger issues to some and their inclusion in the review is only fair.

Again, thanks for the support and the great review. I've come to expect thoughtful and accurate information from SimHQ and I wasn't disappointed.

Joe

You know I thought it looked familiar but with my advanced age and short term memory loss ... so anyway I think Bambi is a real babe and you guys REALLY need to have more of her on your site ... Hello? Hello? I must be mistaken, this isn't the number I called.

Joe

Guest Madmatt

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Spoons - SimHQ:

I didn't write it, but I'd welcome any thoughts, comments, or suggestions.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Spoons,

I agree that the review is nice but there are two factual fautls in it that may slightly confuse people.

The first one is already causing some undo concern and that is in the last line of the review where it says that Combat Mission is out of stock. While that was true at the time the review was written the game has been in stock and shipping for several weeks now.

There is also mention to a 1.2 patch that may improve fire but as A Beta Tester I am not aware of any effort 'officially' to tweak the graphics for fire. As the head of Mad Dog Mod Pack design team, I have Dan Olding and Bil Hardenberger (all three of us did graphics in the real game) and myself all looking at a potential replacement set of bitmaps for the existing fire but it is VERY hard to get to look right. While we are all some of the original 'talent' our Mods are not to be considered Big Time Software products.

Let me clarify, I am not saying that BTS WON'T do new fire, I am just saying that we have not heard of such a planned improvement (over and beyond our own effort) and the version number mentioned is certainly incorrect as the correct patch number in testing is 1.03.

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Proud members of the Combat Mission WebRing

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 07-20-2000).]

The problem with the fire imho (ie in the demo) is that its 2-dimensianal (length-height)...

I know that is a common way to draw things(2dim ) due CPU power---most trees etc in sims other strat-games are 2dim, but with trees it looks ok...not with fires wink.gif

Is it possible to make them 3 dim?

MadMatt,

Thanks for those points. Lemme see how it's worded re: being out of stock and if needed I'll add something.

Re: the fire, lemme ask Tom (the author) about that.

And as for the people who didn't notice the original link going to Combat Sim instead, hey, neither did I! Bizarre how I could have missed that....must have just seen the subject and not paid attention.

------------------

John Sponauer

Senior Editor

SimHQ.com

jsponauer@simhq.com