Possible Ambush Glitch--v1.05 and maybe more

I'm playing a 1.05 QB vs. Kingfish, with an ATG covering a narrow arc through a gap in the woods from its position farther back behind a wall. Crew is Regular, and an ambush marker is set in open ground about 100m in front of a small VL on a low rise. The crew is on Hide orders.

Kingfish advances light armor through another gap in the trees while under mortar fire and drives that piece of armor almost on top of the outer circle of the ambush marker. So far, so good.

The ATG crew now spots a trailing Cromwell of some sort, breaks the assigned ambush plot, tracks and fires at the Cromwell, which was not preranged.

Would someone please explain to me what the point of an ambush order is if crews will abort them when the intended prey has all but slain itself? Maybe I've just been blessed with my ambushes in the past, but this is the first time I've seen an ATG crew exhibit such incredibly dumb behavior, from Regulars no less, behavior which voided careful sighting in of a spitting range (~300m) shot, cost me the primary target, compromised my fire plan, got me into an unwanted exchange of fire with what appears to be a close support Cromwell, and left a live enemy AFV practically atop a VL to boot. The crew wasn't under fire at all from any source prior to this boner either.

As I say, this may simply be rotten luck, but if not, could someone please explain the logic

behind this particular bit of martial insanity?

Thanks!

John Kettler

Guest Madmatt

How far and in what direction away from the Ambush Marker was the Cromwell?

Its a safe bet that in this extact same situation someone else would have bitched had the ATG NOT engaged a target of oppertunity. Would you have been as upset had the team hit the tank and killed it? Without seeing the situation its hard to say for sure of course.

Remember, Regular crews are not all that hot, they have seen a fire fight or two but have not been in combat extensively so they are still prone to dumb mistakes.

Madmatt

In my experience, ambush markers are better viewed as "tripwires" rather than a boresighted or preranged target location. When an enemy unit trips the ambush, expect normal TacAI targeting rules to apply. If used carefully, this behavior can be used to great effect to trap several enemies in a kill zone instead of plinking the first tank that happens along (and alerting the rest of your enemy's units to the danger).

It's likely the ATG crew figured the close suppport Crommwell was more of a threat to it than the "light armor". AFAIK, proximity of VLs plays no part in the TacAI targeting (nor do I think it should).

------------------

"It's a boy!" - My wife's OB/GYN

Nov. 8th, 4:45am

John,

I believe the gun crew acted properly, considering their experience. The first unit thru the gap was a Stuart, with the Cromwell trailing behind. The moment the gun fires it has lost it's advantage of surprise, so they decided, if we're only going to get 1 or 2 shots off, it's best to try and kill the Cromwell first (which is a far bigger threat than the Stuart). Too bad they missed biggrin.gif

Intelweenie,

Congrats on your sig. I was blessed with my little Tornado on the 10th of January. He loves to sit on my lap while I play CM and laughs when I blow away John's ambushes wink.gif

------------------

Frag Hanoi Jane

I think what happened here is that the ATG crew felt that the trailing tank was either a.) more of a threat, or b.) worth more VPs dead! I agree with IntelWeenie's opinion that the Ambush Marker is more a of a tripwire than an exact "Kill Me!" zone.

In playing the Villers-Bocage scenario yesterday, I set up the Panzerscheck crew to ambush the disputed crossroads VP location from the woods (at the SE of the crossroads, next to the big wheatfield). When a Cromwell crossed the AM, the crew elected to target a Firefly right behind it instead of the Cromwell, apparently assuming it was worth more/more of a threat, just as your ATG crew did.

What was cool, though, was that they took out the Firefly, the Cromwell, and another Firefly -- 3 kills with 4 rockets expended! Another Cromwell popped smoke to retreat, allowing the Panzerschreck crew to run away as well.

Iron Crosses for everybody! smile.gif

Dar

Guys, thanks for explaining the way ambush really works in CM. Guess my idiot crew was just the shallow end of the military gene pool.

If what you say is true, then I'd like to renew my prior request for a true boresighted weapon (sure hit on tank size target on that spot day or night, in smoke or fog) and for a linear ambush, i.e, some way to command the gun to open fire as soon as a specified line is crossed. Ideally, said line would extend from the gun to a defined endpoint. Crossing that line would immediately bring the hidden gun into action.

Perhaps in CM2?

Regards,

John Kettler

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Time Software:

Perhaps try placing an ambush on top of a TRP marker.

Charles<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

...would that actually have an effect? Are direct-fire shots at TRPs more accurate/faster than against targets at other locations?

------------------

Leland J. Tankersley