British Armor Questions

I've never set up as the U.K and have a couple of questions.

Which do you prefer the British 76mm (17pdr?) in a Sherman or Challenger.

If a Sherman which one do you feel is the most cost effective the IIA, IIC or VC

I noticed one of the features of the Wolverine is a "Shot Trap". What is that exactly?

Is the British 75mm gun on the Churchill any different against infantry than the Sherman's 75mm. (which is very effective) or does it use the same shell/gun.

I'm sure this has been talked about before(and before and before and before…..) but fresh voices and opinions couldn't hurt. smile.gif

Well, I can answer a couple of your questions. The shot trap on the M-10 stems from the design of its turret. If you look at the rear counter weight, particularly, you will notice that its slope will cause any round striking it to be deflected downward into the thin top hull armor. Not a good thing, even with a thinly armored turret such as that on the Wolverine.

Regarding your question about the 75MM gun on the Brit tanks, it was designed to fire the same round as the American gun, so I would assume its characteristics are virtually identical. Hope this helps!

[This message has been edited by jgdpzr (edited 12-08-2000).]

I always choose the Firefly over the Challenger, but the Challenger is cheaper and if used well can be as effective.

A 'shot trap' is armour on the vehicle that can deflect a shell back into a weak spot on the tank. In the case of the Wolverine (and US M10) I imagine that its the sharply angled gun mantlet that could send a shot into the weak top armour near the drivers' hatch.

- Shaun

GAFFERTAPE

Gaffertape,

Why would you choose the Firefly over the Challenger. The Challenger seems to be better armored, faster and has lower ground pressure.

I see now that the Firefly has a .50 cal on the turret and what seems to be a smaller silhouette (100 to 115)(That's odd though because if you place them side by side the Firefly looks a lot bigger), the Firefly also has a Gyrostabilizer.

And do you get the IIC or the VC?

Thanks again for these prompt responses.

Haven't played with the Challenger much, but it now has a faster turret speed than the Firefly (the 1.1 patch reduced the turret speed to medium on the Firefly), so that's another point in favor of the Challenger. Though the Challenger carries a lot less ammo.

I doubt that the Challenger's armor is really going to make much difference over that of the Firefly facing any German tank armed with a 75mm or better gun.

Don't forget the "77mm" armed Comet TD, which has a bit better penetrating power than the US76 gun, though it's not as good as the 17pdr.

BTW, the IIA carries the 76gun (same as US 76mm), not the 17pdr.

- Chris

Guest Warphead-

It's not a feature, it's a bug! wink.gif

------------------

["Haben die Krupp-Werke Betriebsausflug? Da rollt ja halb Deutschland auf mich zu..." (Vincent)]

I guess I'd either do it historical or I'd go with the Challenger.

Slight preference for the Challenger 'cause it's Brutish, sorry, "British".

Historically the Challenger was only used in armoured recon troops (platoons), with one Challenger and three Cromwells. All other British tank units in western Europe used Fireflies, one per troop. In Italy the regular Sherman(76) was used until late '44, when Fireflies (or, rather, 17pdr guns) became generally more available.

Cheers

Olle

BTS; could we please have Sherman(76) tanks available for the British in June to November '44, to reflect their use in Italy?

[This message has been edited by Olle Petersson (edited 12-11-2000).]

Guest Germanboy

According to Delaforce 'The Black Bull' 200 Challengers were issued to Guards Armoured and 11th UK AD (15th/19th Hussars, a tank regiment), though he does not say when, and 2nd Northants Yeo (11th AD Recce Rgt) did not receive them before August and they did not see action with them.

------------------

Andreas

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/greg_mudry/sturm.html">Der Kessel</a >

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

[This message has been edited by Germanboy (edited 12-11-2000).]