Tracers for tank rounds ?

Hi!

Just stumbled about CM some weeks ago and really enjoyed playing the demo so far smile.gif

One question:

Are tracers modelled? I mean tracers for tank rounds, you know. The german PzGr 39 and PzGr 40 had tracers to help the gunner to achieve accuracy after sensing the tracer from the first round(s).

Should look cool in the game.

Keep up the good work. Seems like CM is exactly the game I was waiting for years.

TABUN

These rounds had a tracer aspect at the base of the shell. This isn't something which needs to be specifically modelled in-game as :

a) the shells are highly visible in flight and

B) the gunners for all sides could see fall of shot pretty easily since a KE penetrator makes a big impact when it hits the earth.

Anyways, it isn't explicitly modelled since most tank AP rounds had a tracer component and so it was common to virtually all AP shells and thus it can be modelled by including it into another factor instead of modelling it separately.

BTW the name is a little reminiscent of Sarin and Zyklon B you know? Did you know Tabun was a wargas?

Fionn

TABUN

If you don´t already know, here´s some stuff about your nick and his chemical family:

Tabun: O- Ethyl N,N- dimethylphosphoramidocyanidate

Sarin: O- Isopropyl methylphosphonofluoridate

Soman: O- Pinacolyl methylphosphonofluoridate

VX: O- Ethyl S- 2- diisopropylaminoethylmethylphosphonothiolate

All are Achetylcholinesterase blockers, thus resulting in inability of smooth muscles to decontract leading to oxygen starvation of the contaminated individual.

Zyklon B is another story:

It´s hydrocyanic acid, pressed to pellets which vaporize at room temperature. The gas being breathed in, the vapors combines with red blood cells, depriving the human body of vital oxygen, causing unconsciousness, and then death through oxygen starvation

Sorry for the little excurse into biochemics wink.gif

Helge

[This message has been edited by DesertFox (edited 02-15-2000).]

LOL Helge, yeah, there's a few I could add in there. Had to do a year of chemistry (mostly organic) wink.gif.

As you know our drug names and disease names are real scrabble winners too wink.gif.

Bilateral Hemianopia etc wink.gif.. Way to confuse people eh? wink.gif

Funnily enough instead of writing alcohol abuser on the chart in Ireland we're encouraged to write "C2H5 abuser" since most people have no idea what that means wink.gif...

Thank god for the limited knowledge of Chemistry in society eh? wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Funnily enough instead of writing alcohol abuser on the chart in Ireland we're encouraged to write "C2H5 abuser" since most people have no idea what that means ...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ROFL! Reminds me of a headline in one of our Newspapers "BILD" some time ago. The headline was :

DANGER!!! Nucleic acids even in Fruits and Vegetables!

Helge

LOL Helge.

Did they find out if they were Ribo- or Deoxyribonucleic *GASP* ? wink.gif

I hope they didn't find any in humans. Could you imagine what would happen if deoxyribonucleic acids were found in humans? wink.gif A TRUE scandal eh? wink.gif

Sometimes those reporters are so stupid eh? wink.gif. I laugh at most of the medical "exposes" they make. It must be the same for you in your field wink.gif

Hmm... a little chemist bashing huh... smile.gif

As we speak I'm running NMR's of bis- 1,2-bis[(diperfluorylethyl)phoshpino]ethane diiridium tris-(mu-hydrido) hydride in Antimonypentafluoride (Mmmm, super-acid with the viscosity of molasses). I'm running another sample as well, but I don't have the time to write that one out. Inorganic nomenclature can be a pain!

Fionn,

shouldn't you be writing C2H5OH? The ethyl radical would be tearing your patients apart! wink.gif

J

PS We just got a ampule of dimethyl mercury... Anyone have any medical texts on that one? It's knocked off a few grad. students. Hope I live to see CM's release!

LOL.

Justin, yep we should write C2H5OH of course but it's just quicker to write C2H5. Hell, in England they took out a patient's HEALTHY kidney last week so if all we get wrong are chemical formulae you're doing well wink.gif

As for ethyl radicals... I support the rights of free radicals wink.gif. BAD JOKE ! wink.gif

Dimethyl Mercury. That's pretty dangerous isn't it? I remember being warned off that in the organic chemistry lab a few years ago wink.gif. (Yes, I was one of those who figured that if Mercury was truly deadly it'd be fun to play around with it wink.gif ). Ah, the impetuosity of youth wink.gif

I understand the abbrevation, just a bit of ribbing wink.gif. We of course do it all the time, can make for quite a lot of confusion.

The alkyl mercury compounds are very nasty, dimethyl being particularly bad do to its small size. It passes through most gloves and skin very rapidly. There have been a few deaths associated with this one (probably microliter quantities involved too). Most chemical accidents in a research lab setting are less severe do to the small quantities used. I've also had the pleasure of working with HF (non-aqueous its a super-acid and also) some other super-acids, as well as phosgene, cyanide, etc... Not to mention the board favorite white phosphorous and its cousins. Like many other fields, you really learn to think ahead smile.gif.

Anyway, sorry for the off-topic posts, but work can be so slow sometimes wink.gif.

J

[This message has been edited by Justin Hoerter (edited 02-15-2000).]

Actually once we had some phosphorus and magnesium and a big tub of acid and we.... well, the next academic year they had repaired the lab and it could be used for teaching again wink.gif.

It REALLY was the professor who mixed them together though not us so, thankfully, we didn't get expelled wink.gif.

Let's just say I have a VERY good idea exactly what WP looks like up close and burning through a plastic container wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fionn:

Actually once we had some phosphorus and magnesium and a big tub of acid...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That indeed does sound nasty...

By the way, has anybody noticed how fast a thread can go off topic on this forum?

Perhaps the thread titles should be editable so we all can see what we're really talking about. wink.gif

Dschugaschwili

ROFL ! biggrin.gif

Never thought of initiating a debate about chemistry with my question wink.gif

Nice to see you guys have humour smile.gif

Thanks for answering my question Fionn and....

Thanks to you and Helge for the little excursion into the chemistry lab wink.gif

At least NOW! I know something about my nick wink.gif

TABUN

BTW: We are so OT now that another OT question shouldn´t bother anyone biggrin.gif

Does anyone know what material they used for the tracers?