Incoming Artillery Sounds

Well, just to pass the time while waiting for CM's release:

Does anyone know if there's been any addition to the artillery sounds incorporated since the demo?

What about the whine/screech of incoming artillery that plays such a big part of Hollywood war movie scenes? And I seem to remember many mentions in first hand accounts talking about incoming shells sounding like freight trains, etc. Would that be too "sound intensive" and slow down execution rate? If there's camera shake and flying dirt from artillery impacts, why not the whistle of incoming rounds?

I did research this on the board under "sound", "artillery sound", "artillery audio", and a couple of other tries and didn't find anything definitive.

I guess the main reason for asking, other than wishful thinking and wasting some time waiting for the next Chance Encounter PBEM move to come in, is because it would save me having to wipe down my monitor and keyboard after every turn from making those sounds myself. :)

Maybe someone else can add to this but possibly those are "Hollywood stories". My calcs show that if you assume the speed of sound (I forget what it is exactly) is 850 mph at sea level, that works out to 1146 feet per sec. So for sure tank anti tank rounds would be supersonic, ie they would hit you before you heard them. I think that for artillery rounds, the same might be true. Possibly for long range arty, the round would be slowed to subsonic speeds but my guess is that the incoming speed is fast enough that the rounds sound and detonation would be very close together. My guess is that the hollywood long incoming whistle explosion is just that, hollywood. You would hear rounds passing overhead, but those wouldn't be aimed at you.

Very long range artillery should be audible before it strikes, only the sound you'd hear would be travel-sound from very early in the shell's flight. The rounds might travel faster than sound, but if they are travelling far enough it'll take long enough for the shells to hit that the sound from early in the travel will reach the poor schmoe standing on the X.

DjB

Guest Stabsfeldwebel

Many many instances where the sound of artillery has been heard before the impact, and I know from 2 firsthand reports 1 from vietnam of hearing the big 16 Inch guns of the new jersey going overhead from a marine, and the written letters from my grandfather of german heavy mortars, both of which made very distinctive sounds.

My grandfather also said that with the big german motars you could judge where they were gonna hit by the sound. And those were lobbed rounds, not like artillery so to speak.

Guest Sgt Morgue

Gentlemen , i'm a frontline combat veteran from the Vietnam war , one nearly always hears incoming indirect fire , one can tell from the sound if it is mortor , artillery or rocket , one also learns to idenify the round by the sound , in a large battle one does not have time to worry about every incoming round , but when that distintive whistle starts towards one , one knows it is time to duck.

[This message has been edited by Sgt Morgue (edited 01-02-100).]

It was mainly mortars and off board artillery that I had in mind. CM promises to be such a _visceral_ game - explosions, camera shake, etc. That it seems like the whine of incoming would add to that and not be very difficult to incorporate.

And Zulu, I'm sure you're right about not hearing the "faster than sound" rounds before impact. IIRC, accounts said the V-2 was the same way - an explosion, followed by the shreik of the the descending missile.

And thank you for the corroborating accounts from the guys who have been there - you've got my respect.

[This message has been edited by L4Pilot (edited 01-02-100).]

Guest Big Time Software

Right now we have firing sounds for all onboard weapons, but only Nebelwerfers for offboard IIRC. We certainly have this on The List of things to add support for, but if it isn't in right now it isn't likely to be for 1.0.

Thanks for the good thoughts and 1st hand info. Always a pleasure to have it on the record even if we can't utilize it right away.

Steve