Adjusting arty fire out of LOS

In a previous thread on how arty in CM works I had suggested that you're unable to adjust arty fire when aiming at a target out of LOS. I'm happy to say I was wrong. smile.gif

You *are* able to adjust fire, but unfortunately CM doesn't give you that nice green line indicating that you can retarget without starting a whole new countdown. So it's somewhat difficult to move the target around without going outside the maximum 100m radius you're allowed to adjust with. BTS: could we *pleeeease* have a green line indicating how far the target can be moved when firing at something out of LOS? Purty please?

BTW, after adjusting to another spot out of LOS, the countdown still takes twice as long as targets within LOS. And you can also adjust target from an area in LOS to one out of LOS and vice-versa. So you're actually able to target an area you can see, allow some shells to fall, and then adjust fire into an area you don't have LOS to. In some cases, this may be better than originally targeting the area out of LOS and then waiting the full time for the shells to begin to fall.

- Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>You *are* able to adjust fire, but unfortunately CM doesn't give you that nice green line indicating that you can retarget without starting a whole new countdown. So it's somewhat difficult to move the target around without going outside the maximum 100m radius you're allowed to adjust with.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, for now you could use gridded terrain tiles wink.gif. But I still think the best solution is to change the adjustment radius to be 100m MINIMUM as well as tweaking the impact pattern to better reflect the usual orientation of guns perpendicular to the line of fire.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>BTW, after adjusting to another spot out of LOS, the countdown still takes twice as long as targets within LOS. And you can also adjust target from an area in LOS to one out of LOS and vice-versa. So you're actually able to target an area you can see, allow some shells to fall, and then adjust fire into an area you don't have LOS to. In some cases, this may be better than originally targeting the area out of LOS and then waiting the full time for the shells to begin to fall.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, this is something I do a lot. Also, when shelling things like woods and villages, there are often places in the general target area to which the FO does in fact have an LOS. Remember, you don't have to aim right at a target unit because shells will be falling all over the area and have a blast radius.

So what I do is use the LOS tool all over the area until I find a spot with an LOS that is also close enough to the enemy to cover them with the impact pattern. Then, while holding the LOS line on that point, I hit the T key to change the line into a targeting line, then click the mouse. Thus, I don't risk moving the cursor off that point.

------------------

-Bullethead

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there is bacteria.

Guest kking199

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wolfe:

...BTS: could we *pleeeease* have a green line indicating how far the target can be moved when firing at something out of LOS? Purty please?

- Chris<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am going to have to say nay to this, back to realism, there should be a penalty for adjusting Arty without LOS, and this is the penalty. My ability to place and adust arty should be different with LOS vs without LOS, (or what would the purpose of the spotter really be then) frankly I think when you do not have LOS there should be more variability as to where the impact zone is.

My $.02

------------------

Arghhh!!.... I'm Hit!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kking199:

I am going to have to say nay to this, back to realism, there should be a penalty for adjusting Arty without LOS, and this is the penalty.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But there already is a penalty. It takes longer for the shells to arrive than if it were in LOS, and rounds are much less accurate. Going outside the adjustment box when adjusting fire incurs a significant time penalty. It's an absolute cutoff between 100m and 101m.

The green line simply tells you how far you can move and still be 'adjusting' from the previous target. Otherwise you're just guessing how far you can move the target. And since there's no undo, once you see you've made a mistake, you either live with it or reload the game. And until today, I didn't even realize you could adjust your targeting out of LOS because there was no adjustment line to indicate this. tongue.gif

In Real Life whether you're firing at a target in or out of LOS, isn't adjusting fire from your current target just a matter of informing the guns how far and in which direction you wish them to shift? This doesn't change whether you're shooting at a target in or out of LOS, does it? So why should you have to guess how far is just far enough without stepping outside the magic box? Or is adjusting fire for something the FO can't see a different procedure from when he can see it?

- Chris