Gridded Terrain MODs

Hi guys

Just thought I'd mention that I've uploaded gridded versions of my CMBO terrain mods. I finally got around to trying this and was an instant convert to the gridded battlefield. I made the grid a bit thicker at 100m intervals as I thought that made it a bit easier to count of distance.

Hope you get some good use out of them

Here are some screenshots:

GRASSGRID.JPG

SNOWGRID.JPG

Where can these gridded terrain mods be found?

Using a grid to measure distance may be a little gamey, but they sure do help when it comes to getting a feel for the "lay of the land". At times it is difficult to see hills and valleys from some of the view levels. I only wish these grids could be turned on and off during a game...

Strontium Dog,

Sweet,thanks alot.Are you by any chance going to do a version of your grass for CMBB?It doesnt have to be gridded,but i love the look of it.

To the others that have posted in here,

what the hell is gamey about it?There are numerous version of gridded terrain out there for any and everyone.If its available to all,how is it gamey?It doesnt help as much as you might think,but it does takes a little of the guess work out of it.

Glad some of you like them smile.gif Louie there are ungridded versions available as well if you'd prefer them. I forgot about saying where they were uploaded as I don't tend to look anywhere else these days so thanks for putting the link up nevermind. (I might do a CMBB version one day but I haven't bought it yet)

Hi CBase

The trees are my own. I haven't uploaded these yet as they're not quite finished. The tree grounds are the same as those that I uploaded with the ungridded version of this mod (the scattered tree ground is just a transparent map). When the trees are finished I'll post a message here and I'll upload them along with the grounds. I've also got rough, brush and marsh mods which are nearly done so I'll post them at the same time as well.

Strontium Dog,

I am very pleased to see that someone is still working on CMBO,please mod any and/or everything :D It seems that just about everyone has gone over to BB.I dont want to see this game die just because a newer version came out.

BTW,i am really looking forward to your trees.i have painfully hand selected bits and pieces from all the mods out there and i really like the look i have put together.The only exception is the trees,there are just no good trees out there.Now i cant get a good look at them,but they seem better than most.I couldnt believe that some people actually made neon green looking trees :eek: Anyway,ill let you get back to your work,please keep us updated.

Originally posted by Strontium Dog:

Hi CBase

The trees are my own. I haven't uploaded these yet as they're not quite finished. The tree grounds are the same as those that I uploaded with the ungridded version of this mod (the scattered tree ground is just a transparent map). When the trees are finished I'll post a message here and I'll upload them along with the grounds. I've also got rough, brush and marsh mods which are nearly done so I'll post them at the same time as well.

Dear Strontium Dog,

Your terrain mods for CMBO are simply amazing - I cannot wait to try your rough, brush, and marsh. I am using your CMBO snow as light snow in CMBB together with Scipio's light snow add on, and the effect is great. I have a CMBB light snow terrain like in Toms BoB's mod.

One small problem I have noticed with your otherwise superb winter water mod: When I have a small thin lake it looks like the bmp-edges do not match each other 100%. In other words when the 823 bmp is used together with the 824 bmp the edges do not match 100%. You can see why, if you look at the two bmps in Paint. Somehow the 823 is to narrow compared to 824.

Would it be possible to correct this small problem?

Best regards

Mr. Die Easy

Originally posted by Strontium Dog:

Mr Die Easy. Thanks for the feedback. I've been meaning to fix that for a while. I've just uploaded a new version of the winterwater to the CM MOD database. See what you think of it.

Vedder - I'm not sure but it sounds like some people have used them in both (but dont take my word for it)

Dear Strontium Dog,

Thanks for the quick Winter Water update. I really love this mod - therefore I hate to sound picky, but there is still some combinations of the 821/822/823/824 bmps where the resulting border of the lake is looking a little irregular. Don't get me wrong, the mod is very close to being perfect.

I took a look at some other water mods and in general they all seem to let the border of the water end in the "corner" of the bmp, in this way ensuring a "perfect" match. Maybe that is the key to solving this very small problem?

Once more thank you for some amazing terrain mods! :)

Mr. Die Easy

Hello again Mr Die Easy

I know exactly what you mean but I think that'll have to do for now. If I remember correctly the ice mods are a little different to the water mods in that there are less bmps and its a bit more difficult to get them to match up nicely, especially if you have a broken pattern like my mod. I'll have a look at it again at some stage but don't hold your breath smile.gif

I normally don't care for grids in my terrain but that does look pretty darn good. It sure helps in seeing the different elevations so I believe I will try it out and thanks for mentioning it and for doing it to begin with. I too would be interested in seeing the others when you get them finished. Thanks again Strontium Dog.

Dear nevermind ,

You confuse gameyness and unfairness.

Of course terrain grids are gamey, in the same way that toggeling on Detailed Armor Hits is gamey. They are both gamey because they are devices in the game that do not exist in reality. They are unfair advantages.

But if both sides use terrain grids it is not unfair but it is still gamey.

A question arises. How does the AI "see" terrain?

For that matter, if the AI views only from Level 1 then the use of 2,3,4 etc is gamey too.

"Its only a game" - countless others and Toad

Originally posted by Louie the Toad:

Dear nevermind ,

You confuse gameyness and unfairness.

Of course terrain grids are gamey, in the same way that toggeling on Detailed Armor Hits is gamey. They are both gamey because they are devices in the game that do not exist in reality. They are unfair advantages.

But if both sides use terrain grids it is not unfair but it is still gamey.

A question arises. How does the AI "see" terrain?

For that matter, if the AI views only from Level 1 then the use of 2,3,4 etc is gamey too.

"Its only a game" - countless others and Toad

No,now that you bring it up,i was wrong.I shouldnt have defended a modder(one of only a few that are still doing working in BO)whos effort for us,or that he was sharing with us,was called "gamey",because it isnt.Based on your definition,it is unfair,since anything "gamey" has to do with actual game play.Buying a herd of M8 HMC's and blitzing someones defense is,or could be called "gamey",because it actually affects game play.Using the assault boats on a map with no water to draw the enemies fire,or any of the other known game bugs is,or could be called gamey.Detailed armor hits,at the very worst,are unfair,especially since they are built into the game.

So, i guess i should have corrected the other posters about their error in the definition of what is gamey and what is unfair.Then again,what is unfair?Something that someone has that his opponent doesnt,that gives him a edge?Sounds unfair to me,but wait,arent gridded terrains and detailed armor hits available to everyone?Isnt it true that what you see on the screen isnt an exact graphical represention of what is really there?Isnt it true,that in reality you could see for yourself,or look at a topographical map,and know what the lay of the land was like?Hmmm,oh well,im confused as always.Perhaps someone will come along to elighten me.

Ultimately,Louie the Toad,i mean no offense by this,nor do i want to get into a debate on it,i just didnt want people making comments about someones work,when that someone doesnt even have to share what he has done.Im sure there are some people that use them that dont even play multiplayer.Truthfully,i didnt even want to respond to your post,and if it werent for the "educating" manner in which it was done i wouldnt have.Especially when it boils down to being a difference of opinion.

[ March 08, 2003, 08:43 PM: Message edited by: nevermind ]

Nevermind,

I agree with you, it is a matter of opinion or of taste. If gridded terrain had a toggle switch I would use it all of the time, but only at the map simulation levels of 6 and up. Gridded terrain wasn't drawn on the battlefield, so I don't want to see it there. My opinion.

Modders make this great game very special. I might be wrong but I belive there is no other game like it with regard to the modding feature.

CM engages us in so many ways. I believe its staying power is due to the outlet for creativity that is available to the player, tactician, modder, historian and scenario designer that is in all of us to some degree. As far as taking a critical look at someone's work, well its done on the forum all of the time. Where there is creativity there is criticisim. Look above at all of the 'great job' opinions in this thread. I trust Strontium Dog can handle it.

I am looking forward to seeing Strontium Dog's tree mods.

Tree... Toad

Originally posted by Louie the Toad:

As far as taking a critical look at someone's work, well its done on the forum all of the time. Where there is creativity there is criticisim. Look above at all of the 'great job' opinions in this thread. I trust Strontium Dog can handle it.

I think I can just about cope smile.gif Good point about the modability of CM. Being able to change the look of the game is almost as much fun as playing it.

The trees are coming on nicely so should have them done soonish.