CM database update!

I have completed final touch-up on the latest version. It should be avaialable at Col. Klotz's wbsite in a day or so at http://asl2cm.cjb.net

Here is the 'readme' of what is new/changed.

---------

New additions to v1.10:

- Pictures now open up from within Excel. A user (Mike Ratay) wrote the macro for me and it is a great addition. Thanks Mike!

- Changed colors (again) to softer pastels. The dark colors were still too dark when printed.

- Consolidated sheets from ten to five

- Added a Firepower (for infantry) or Armor Pentration (for vehicles) chart.

When displaying for vehicles, the numbers are pentration values for AP (if available) or HE at 0 degrees

- Added a unit availabilty display. The numbers and colors were taken straight from ASL with a few added by me.

The numbers range from 0.9 (so common you could trip over them) to 1.6 (so rare they only made a few)

- Expanded firepower numbers for infantry. Now the numbers include the firepower by weapons within the squad as well

as a total of squad firepower.

- Getting the pictures to work:

The new macro looks for the pictures in the SAME directory as the Excel file is in - no matter what that directory is.

This likely means you will have to copy the Excel file into the directory where the pictures are (or vice-versa)

- Known problems

Some of the HQ pictures are now too large and bleed into the firepower chart below.

The Excel file doesn't work at all with Lotus 1-2-3 and barely works with Excel 95/5.0.

The database is best viewed with Excel 97 or 2000.

There is a free Excel viewer available from Microsoft and it is available at:

http://officeupdate.microsoft.com/downloadDetails/xlviewer.htm

The nifty unit selection sheet and the pictures don't show up, but the sheets with the raw numbers display fine.

I haven't added any new units so only vehicles and infantry are still available.

The database isn't updated to v1.04 of Combat Mission.

Features:

This isn't just an ordinary database with rows and columns of numbers, it has a snazzy unit seleciton menu that easily allows the

user to select units by type (vehicles, infantry, guns, etc.) and nationality (American, British, German).

Information for the selected unit is displayed in an easy to read manner and also includes a picture of the unit selected.

The other sheets contain the raw data but are also formatted attractively.

They have been pre-formatted for printing with page added at logical spots so that the information is printed in a sensible manner.

Headers and page numbers have also been added as the entire database is about 20 pages when printed.

Acknowledgements:

I've received great feedback from users who have suggested a mulitude of enhancements.

I'd like to single out four - Robert Hall for giving me extremely valuable input at the very beginning. Chris Hare for combing through my

numbers to make sure they were accurate. Mike Ratay for writing the spiffy VBA macro that allowed the pics to open from within Excel.

Col. Klotz for generously hosting my database. There have been over 1,000 hits on the database file, so I hope everyone has found it useful.

--------

Jason

[This message has been edited by guachi (edited 08-21-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by guachi:

I have completed final touch-up on the latest version.

The database isn't updated to v1.04 of Combat Mission.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is, in a way, hilarious. Do you think they release new versions just to annoy you? wink.gif

If so, please update your database more often! cool.gif