CONTROLING FLAGS

HI!

I'M KNEW TO THE GAME BUT HAVE PLAYED THE

DEMO NOW FOR A WEEK AND WOULD LIKE TO KNOW

ALL THE PARAMETERS IN CONTROLING A FLAG. WHAT

MUST ONE DO TO OWN THAT LAND? I LIKE THE RESPECT THAT YOU HAVE FOR EACH OTHER AND AM MORE THAN WILLING TO BE RESPECTFUL AND FRIENDLY.I HAVE A FAIRLY GOOD UNDERSTANDING OF WW2. AND THE CIVIL WAR. THIS GAME IS A REAL GROUNDBREAKER AND LOTS OF FUN. BEATS ANYTHING I'VE PLAYED SO FAR, CONGRATULATION BTS, LOOKING FORWARD TO THE GAME.

Speaking of controlling flags, I’ve played both sides at the same time using the HotSeat in Chance Encounter just to be able to see what the other guy can see. I’ve found that when the U.S. is in the woods approaching the crest of the “Ridge” I see the Victory flag as an American Flag but the next German turn, the Germans while waiting at the top of the Ridge, still see it as the German Flag. This can happen for a few turns, the U.S. sees it as U.S. the Germans see it as German. If the game ended like this would it be a tie? Has anybody else noticed this?

This has been covered in previous threads, though I don't recall which (search on VL?). Part of the Fog of War is that each side can think it controls the VL if enemy units in the vicinity are unspotted. So, if your US squad near the VL can't see an SS platoon in the woods (even closer to the VL), you think you're in control. The Germans would think THEY were in control.

In this instance the computer would probably award control to the Germans, or consider it a coin toss (? mark). I think the computer awards control based on its own god-like awareness.

Guest Big Time Software

MarkIV and Moon are correct. CM decides who should get the points based on the troops in the area. If it is contested by two sides, both with a certain degree of combat effectiveness, nobody gets the points. Also, a flag is only captured if it is actively in control of combat troops. So if you leave a flag totally unguarded, it reverts to Neutral. This won't necessarily lose you the game, but you have to think about the value of the flag vs. the firepower of the troops stationed there to do other things. If you leave a flag and go for a second one and get it, the rewards are worth it. But if you leave the first and fail to gain the second, you have basically lost two flags.

Steve