OT: Ferdinands make it into Western Front?

I was watching the History channel Sunday when a commercial came on about an upcoming show and they were showing b&w war footage. The topic was western front battles (the Bulge I think) and what I saw looked like a Ferdinand. Did the elephant make it into any Bulge battles or was I seeing things?

------------------

Jeff Abbott

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Juardis:

I was watching the History channel Sunday when a commercial came on about an upcoming show and they were showing b&w war footage. The topic was western front battles (the Bulge I think) and what I saw looked like a Ferdinand. Did the elephant make it into any Bulge battles or was I seeing things?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

According to Jane's all of the surviving Elephant's were sent to the Italian theater.

------------------

Navare

"I am determined to prove a villian..."

I'm not familiar with the documentary you're referring to, but in many documentaries that I've seen, the producers often choose 'good looking' footage versus historically correct footage. One program which I saw recently was describing how Shermans were prone to burning, as the footage panned across a burning Panther tank.

The other possibility is that you saw a Stug or Jagdtiger, not a Ferdinand (both the Jagdtiger and the Stug saw action in the Bulge).

GAFF

When I get home, I'll check in my

"Combat History of Schwere Panzerjäger-Abteilung 653"

IIRC, all the armor went to Italy, but I have a nagging doubt as to where one photo in the book was shot.

I'll try to post this evening.

------------------

To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee...

Not, definitely not the JT or Stug, maybe a Wespe though. It had the distinguished "El Camino" (U.S. made automobile) look with the Big freakin gun coming out of the cab. If all surviving Ferdinands were sent to Italy, then it's most likely I mis-identified or the History channel put the wrong footage in. Thanks. I can't wait to play with them. For some reason, the Ferdinand is one of my favorites (maybe it's that big freakin' gun smile.gif).

------------------

Jeff Abbott

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Juardis:

Not, definitely not the JT or Stug, maybe a Wespe though. It had the distinguished "El Camino" (U.S. made automobile) look with the Big freakin gun coming out of the cab. If all surviving Ferdinands were sent to Italy, then it's most likely I mis-identified or the History channel put the wrong footage in. Thanks. I can't wait to play with them. For some reason, the Ferdinand is one of my favorites (maybe it's that big freakin' gun smile.gif).

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm...big, slow, limited field of fire hull machinegun. Where is my flamethrower team?

------------------

Navare

"I am determined to prove a villian..."

Hey,

Taken from Acthung! Panzer website:

"sPzJagAbt 614 with some 13-14 vehicles saw service on the Eastern Front as late as early 1945 and eventually all remaining Elephants saw final service with Kampfgruppe "Ritter" in area of Zossen in mid April of 1945. When employed defensively in Italy and Russia, Elephants proved to be formidable opponents. As of January 1st of 1945, there were still 4 Elephants in service of which some took part in the defence of Berlin."

For what its worth...

Chris

------------------

What the hell is a Jagdcarcajou?