Life Is Simply Not Fair

Howdy Good Folks,

Wouldn't you know it? As soon as we get word that CM is on the way my computer decides it can't handle the excitement and starts going belly up. It takes me three tries to get the thing to boot. I keep getting wonderful little messages like "Invalid Partition Table" which I know can't be a good thing. I'm going to drag it down to the shop today and stand on their heads until it's done because I know, I just KNOW, that if it's in the shop over the weekend I'll come home to find CM waiting on my doorstop. Can you imagine the horror of having the game but not having anything to play it on!

I am sad.

I think I'll go curl up in the corner and cry now.

Cardinal Fang

No One Expects The Spanish Inquisition!

If you have a floppy boot disk then boot from that, re-format your hard drive and re-install all the Windows crap and then your other stuff.

If you dont have a boot floppy ask a friend WITH THE SAME WINDOWS VERSION to make you one.

If you don't have a friend go back to the shop...

------------------

Dulce Et Decorum Est

In fact those who do...

Ah! Right... Here's what you do Cardinal (I know, this is lame): first you get....THE COMFY CHAIR. Then, you pour yourself a nice drink, put a little smooth music on the stereo, disable your doorbell, disconnect your phone, and read the manual.

Beats curling up in a corner IMO. biggrin.gif

------------------

I've just about had it with sig's

I have a computer again!!!!!!

But no Combat Mission. :-(

According to the store the drive they sold me had been recalled. It would've been nice if they'd told me. I couldn't wait the 3-5 business days for the new drive to get here (Not with CM practically on my doorstep!) so I went out and bought a new one and I'll use the replacement as a second drive.

Of course in the process of reloading everything my CD-ROM drive has decided to start acting wierd. Blech.

And no I don't want to hear anything like "Gee maybe your motherboard is bad". Just let me believe that The Magic Computer Repair Fairy will show up tonight and make everything better.

Cardinal Fang

Has A Lot Of Messages To Catch Up On

Whose CD Seems To Be Working Now

Fang,

This is why I have 3 computers, any one of which could be used to play CM on.

PS. You might consider switching to a more reliable computer type/supplier. I have a Compaq, one Dell and one AST. And I like all three.

------------------

"Freedom is not a right. It is a privilege bought and paid for with the blood of patriots." Robert A. Heinlein in Starship Troopers

BTW never spend the money to have someone fix a partition error like that.

Get your win 95/98/2000/NT boot fisk and then do this...

fdisk /mbr

This will make sure to pull a duplicate of your old Master Boot Record and should fix your problem.

Otherwise then go ahead and take it in wink.gif.

------------------

Someone had mentioned the whole fdisk thing but since the drive was new and still under warranty I thought I'd have someone take a look at it. That's when the ran a diagnostic on it and said it was dead. They also told me it was recalled by the manufacturer. The more I think of it the more upset I get because if it had been recalled the store should've told me.

Anyway I've been having NO fun with my new drive. This morning everything looked good. Until I tried to open Free Agent and got the dreaded Blue Screen of Death. After several BSOD's I ended up blanking the drive and reloading everything. Again. Even that didn't go well since it took three tries to install Win98SE. I'm just waiting for it to die again.

I hate computers. The only reason I keep trying is so I can play CM at least once.

CardinalFang

Hater of Computers

Going Back To My Amiga500