ColCoolJ

Cool,(sorry I messed the your name on the topic) Do you work for Big Time Software? Or do you just tweak textures and sounds as a hobby. And if you do work for BTS good! If you don't, WHY IN GODS NAME ISNT BTS PICKING YOU UP TO FOR A JOB?! wink.gif Those pictures you revamped are truley awesome!!! If BTS were smart they'd pick you up before some other company sees your work. smile.gif

[This message has been edited by WWIIRulz (edited 02-22-2000).]

ColCoolJ? biggrin.gif

No I amd not working for BTS smile.gif

Its all a hobby to me at this stage frown.gif Hey if any game company wants to offer me a job, I'm all for it! I'll start working straight away! I'll finally be able to put to talents to good use wink.gif Sigh, this will be my dream job too....but for now, my second life of boredom as a telephone/help desk dude continues tongue.gif

------------------

CCJ

aka BLITZ_Force

My Hompage ----> http://www.geocities.com/coolcolj

Double your immersion with my Tweaked Textures and Saving Private Ryan sound set mods for CM!! Check out my new Textures V2.0 photo Gallery and my music while your there! :P

WOW.........I have to say that I was'nt going to download the SPR sounds but I just got kinda bored of the three demos I thought I would give the new sound a try. GREAT WORK !!!!!! It is a whole new game!!! I LOVE THE M-1 SOUND!!!! When you get an entire platoon firing at the same time with all the M-1 sound effects it is a RUSH!!! and the MG sounds from the D-Day scene are perfect. I am having trouble hearing the BAR...could you give me the WAV number so I can listen to it? Keep up the good work COOLCOLJ. I am sorry I didnt try it before!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Is that good or bad?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aw, heck, CoolColJ (can we just call you "Cool"? smile.gif), it's obviously great for you in that it reflects the quality of your work.

Personally, while I've checked out your web pages and been very impressed, I wouldn't probly rush over to your versions when I get the game. Something about keeping the game the way the designers intended, I guess. But, wouldn't it be ironic if BTS spent all that time on textures, only to have everybody using yours.....

Heck, for all we know you're really an alter ego for Steve so that he can try new textures and get objective feedback. Not like we haven't seen that trick before. rolleyes.gif

[This message has been edited by sbg2112 (edited 02-23-2000).]

Guest Captain Foobar

Hey cool! Have you considered making some textures of buildings that have been beat to hell? I think that it would be great for operations, and areas where previous battle scars would be present... I know that you cant affect the LOS, but it would look hellicool to have beat up villages

smile.gif

Guest Captain Foobar

You'll just have to watch South Park...

see, you add hell to the beginning of any adjective, and it makes it more emphatic. So , if someone wanted to say that your question was REALLY lame, they would say.."damn, man, that question is hellilame.." wink.gif

cool.gif

Ah ha -- I knew it! wink.gif Let's call you the Artist Formerly Known as CoolColJ. smile.gif

I ain't no artist, but would it be possible to make some sorta "photo-realistic" texture set? I can think of many factors (many beyond your control) that would prevent this, but thought I'd ask to see what you think.

It is possible, but Texture size/memory is the main limit. You'd have to use at least 512x512 texture sizes! smile.gif Also you'll need more ploygons - some of the Playstation 2 games have this look - tons of polygons and large textures. But I don't think its quite possible in CM, firstly the divisions between the tiles are quite visible and secondly CM doesn't have any lighting smile.gif

Actually all the above is irrelevant - um a good scanner, and prisitine images to scan, with, large tetxure sizes, I think can get close - need 32 megs of Vram though wink.gif

------------------

CCJ

aka BLITZ_Force

Double your immersion with my Tweaked Textures and Saving Private Ryan sound set mods for CM!! Check out my new Textures V2.0 photo Gallery and my music while your there! :P

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CoolColJ:

It is possible, but Texture size/memory is the main limit. You'd have to use at least 512x512 texture sizes! smile.gif

Actually all the above is irrelevant - um a good scanner, and prisitine images to scan, with, large tetxure sizes, I think can get close - need 32 megs of Vram though wink.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Got the vidoe mem... and AGP can have another 128 if it wants... But wouldn't the biggest drawback be that if you went photographic for a texture, you would have to make everything photograhic (not just 'photorealistic')? Seems like that would be a royal pain, and with the current screenshots looking so nice, not really worth the effort.

Thanks for the response CoolColJ (if that is your real name) -- I was sorta thinking about those and other things when I mentioned things beyond your control.

Oh, well, someday all computer games will be photo-realistic, and I wonder if anyone will lament the passing of these days when the best games were works of art as opposed to ultra-realistic physics sims. I find that the games I think the most of have an "ambience" (sp?) about them, and I think CM's graphics will have just such a quality.

Hey CoolColJ! I think I might be able to help you get a well paid job. The requrements are that you must be good in COBOL programming, have a fairly good understanding of telecom local-loop systems and be willing to move to northern Norway. smile.gif

Keep up the good work! cool.gif

Hawk

Ps. Since you're the Sound Wizard here; is it possible to add a soundtrack to an AVI file?

------------------

Our's is not to reason "why", our's is but to do and die!

[This message has been edited by Hawk (edited 02-24-2000).]

Yeap it is possible, but it dpends on your AVi software - have a look at some of those online download shareware centres like Tucows and Softseek.com etc

I'm trying to make some CM movies, without using a capture card - by directly capturing them frames within the computer, including sound - anyone know how to do this with a TNT2 card? I dl'ed something that would do this, but the archive is corrupt frown.gif

Because I have some awesome movies to show you all! Talk about immersive, it looks like some colour WW2 documentary footage! smile.gif

------------------

CCJ

aka BLITZ_Force

Double your immersion with my Tweaked Textures and Saving Private Ryan sound set mods for CM!! Check out my new Textures V2.0 photo Gallery and my music while your there! tongue.gif

[This message has been edited by CoolColJ (edited 02-24-2000).]