Does anybody want to try two turns per e-mail?

Hey there Fuerte I am interested I think but not sure what "two turns per email " means although I assume it means just what it says? If that is the case then yes I would certainly be interested as I am just fixin to get Roadrunner and for the first time since about two years ago am thinking about getting involved in PBEM's again. So hopefully the demand is there for it to be worth your time to make it work with CMBO.

Originally posted by lcm1947:

Hey there Fuerte I am interested I think but not sure what "two turns per email " means although I assume it means just what it says? If that is the case then yes I would certainly be interested as I am just fixin to get Roadrunner and for the first time since about two years ago am thinking about getting involved in PBEM's again. So hopefully the demand is there for it to be worth your time to make it work with CMBO.

It means that you should TRUST your opponent not to cheat. You send your encrypted password with the game, and PBEM Helper will skip your opponent's movie replay, using fast forward button and black bmps, so that you don't see anything, almost. Currently the unit bases are visible, but this can be avoided by setting the view direction away from the battlefield before you hit Go in View+Plot phase.

You get two full turns with each e-mail... it makes the PBEM game three times faster.

i'm not saying i think this is a bad idea

i've just never run into a problem with turn exchange speed that couldn't be solved by me and my opponent simply sending more e-mail in a given day

sometimes we exchange 2 or 3 complete moves in an evening

so i guess for me this is a soln in search of a problem

Originally posted by easytarget:

i'm not saying i think this is a bad idea

i've just never run into a problem with turn exchange speed that couldn't be solved by me and my opponent simply sending more e-mail in a given day

sometimes we exchange 2 or 3 complete moves in an evening

so i guess for me this is a soln in search of a problem

Right, this is not for everyone I think. We can only do one e-mail per day with my opponent, and we get two turns each day now. The only downside is those unit bases, if I or my opponent forgets to set viewing direction away from units.

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by Edward Windsor:

Excellent - if I can persuade my partners, I want to give this a go. Do games have to be started in PBEM Helper or can we convert an ongoing battle?

It is easier to start a new game by giving the 2- prefix. But there is also a Trust/Secure button in Edit F2, that you can use to change the mode. It will give you more instructions.

• 3 weeks later...

1.3.309 (8.4.2003)

New: Encrypted password in CMBB fast&trust mode is more secure.

New: Checks that VBS code has not been modified (CMBB.VBS.MD5).

New: Does not allow CMBB fast&trust mode unless the screen blanking works. Test this with new hot keys.

New: Gamma hot keys work now as follows: Ctrl+Shift+

0: Restore default (how it was before PBEM Helper was loaded).

1 - 8: Gamma = from 1.0 to 2.75 in steps of 0.25. 1.0 is usually the same as default, 2.75 is the brightest.

9: Blank screen to grey, use this to test if it works in CMBB fast&trust mode.

New: File / "Oppnent PBEM Helper version" shows your opponent's version, if you have received a .PBM file.

Just in case anyone was wondering - this program is quite superb.

Not only does it take care of all that 'fire up the program, find the attachment, enter the password' nonsense, it also doubles your email game speed (and for my money, enjoyment). You just double click on the attachment in your mail program, and voila, two turns of CM goodness await.

Everyone should try this.

Originally posted by Grimthane:

Just in case anyone was wondering - this program is quite superb.

Not only does it take care of all that 'fire up the program, find the attachment, enter the password' nonsense, it also doubles your email game speed (and for my money, enjoyment). You just double click on the attachment in your mail program, and voila, two turns of CM goodness await.

Everyone should try this.

In fact it triplicates the speed... smile.gif