Sit and Spin (tank grog stuff)

Guest R Cunningham

Guest R Cunningham

Lt. Bull,

The whole point of this thread was just to find out which tanks could actually spin in place by counter-rotating the tracks. In CM all the tanks can do this and in every other tactical level wargame I've ever seen as well. BTS admits they've abstracted this. Other games may have done this intentionally or they just assumed that all tanks could do this.

So far we've got evidence that both the Tiger and Panther could do this but nothing on other tanks.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not just ask someone who owns a runner? There's lots of websites for military vehicle restorers out there, some with message boards.

------------------

Floreat Jerboa !

I am sure that members of this forum would be familiar with the video tape sreies "Die Deutschen Panzer". On tape No. 1 , 9 minutes and 30 seconds into the tape it cleary shows a Tiger 1 with both it's tracks rotating in opposite directions.

Could someone please comment on this footage ,in relation to what it is actually showing. That is differential or neutral steering. wink.gif

• 3 weeks later...

This is part of a page I just found giving quite detailed info on driving a Hetzer.

"Steering of the Hetzer is accomplished in two ways. Radius steering, used for all normal steering, is accomplished by simply pulling on the steering lever for the direction of turn desired. This applies a braking effect to the track on that side, slowing the track in proportion to the force applied to the steering lever. Release of the lever returns full power to the track and the vehicle drives straight ahead. Point steering, used to "turn in place", is accomplished by first depressing with your thumb, the button on the handle of the steering lever and then pulling back on the lever with button still depressed. This causes that track to be disconnected from the final drive and be braked to a full stop. Power must be applied in all turns to give the tracks the force required to make the turn without stalling the engine. The Hetzer does not have the capability to reverse one track in relation to the other and turn in place. The smallest turn possible gives a turning radius of about 4.5 meters."

Guest Big Time Software

Wow, this thread is back from the dead smile.gif

Funny enough, I was just rewatching the siege of the "White House" in Moscow a couple of years ago. I taped about 10 hours of it and stumbled across one while looking for something else. In it there were some full tracked APCs doing high speed donuts on the main bridge. Wonder the guy didn't toss a track!

Of course, all I could think about was how cool this would look in CM smile.gif

Steve

[This message has been edited by Big Time Software (edited 03-20-2000).]

ahh...that was one mighty long beer tongue.gif

Anyways, yeah, it's good to see this topic still alive. I've discussed and have been dwelling on the mechanics/limitations of mechanized track motion since.

Blincide, can you please post up the link to the page with the Hetzer steering details? Looks like what I

It seems that pure "sit and spin" motion in WW2 tracked vehicles was more rare than it was common, because of the more complex requirements of the power train. So far have we only identified the Tiger I (II as well?) chassis and the Panther chassis as being capable of this "sit and spin" manuveur (ie. having opposable drives on each track)

Desert Fox..

It is showing the minima turning radii ....This steering is carried out with the steering brakes, braking one final drive more than the other..

Lt. Bull

I wasn´t the only one who termed it "neutral steering" I furthermore gave the exact german terms. Read above.

The term "neutral steering" was brought into this discussion by some people who are native english speakers, and not, like me, german. So I assumed it is the correct term, to make clear the difference to the type of steering which clutch-brake systems are capable of.

Bottomline is and was, that I think we have pretty much solved this question. The Panther, Tiger I and Tiger II and all modifications which base on these chassis and their single or double radius steering transmissions where able to turn in place or sit and spin or do the maneuver "Wenden auf der Stelle"

Helge

------------------

Sbelling chequed wyth MICROSOFT SPELLCHECKER - vorgs grate!

- The DesertFox -

Email: desertfox1891@hotmail.com

WWW: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Capsule/2930/

[This message has been edited by DesertFox (edited 03-23-2000).]