Whatever happened to the PC Mod Manager?

Some time ago I recall seeing a thread (with screenshots) of a mod manager someone was working on for the PC version of CM. And then nothing since.

Was this ever released, and if so, where can I get it? It was supposed to be sent to Madmatt, but I have yet to see it on his site..

------------------

Ob's stürmt oder schneit, ob die Sonne uns lacht, der Tag glühend heiß oder eiskalt die Nacht, bestaubt sind die Gesichter, doch froh ist unser sinn, ja unser sinn, es braust unser Panzer im Sturmwind dahin

-- Panzerlied

Guest Madmatt

It's still being worked on. I will check back with some of the guys that were helping me to test it and see if I can get an update.

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission and home of the CMMC

CMHQ-Annex

Host of the Combat Mission WebRing

Guest AbnAirCav

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sgt. Steiner:

Some time ago ...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, seems like it's been awhile ...

I'd be glad to help out how I can, if you need some assistance from folks who aren't distracted by posting to the Peng thread ... smile.gif

Thanks for the reply, Matt. It had been so long since I heard anything that I figured they ran into some unsolveable problems and scrapped the whole thing.

I hope it does finally come out; I have so many mods now I've totally lost track of what's what..

------------------

Ob's stürmt oder schneit, ob die Sonne uns lacht, der Tag glühend heiß oder eiskalt die Nacht, bestaubt sind die Gesichter, doch froh ist unser sinn, ja unser sinn, es braust unser Panzer im Sturmwind dahin

-- Panzerlied

Yes, it's alive.

I've been using it myself for two months now. Remember the German Halftrack Mod with Batch Files (ugh) to switch between skins? I've modified the Mod Manager to support Mod's that have different skin options. Below is a sample of what the Mod Manager shows with the German Halftrack Mod rebuilt to be compliant with CM Mod Manager.

fetch.dll?action=view_photo&ID_Community=CombatMission&ID_Topic=2&ID_Message=7

Guest AbnAirCav

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TwoSheds:

I've been using it myself for two months now. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I'm with saru3000, this is a killer, 'cause this has gotta be one of the most eagerly anticipated CM utilities ...

TwoSheds,

It looks to me like you could be on a perfectionism trip (no offense intended smile.gif ).

Would it be possible to publish your "unfinished" version and patch/update it later?

The main problem seems to be compatibility - the tool must have a database of some kind. I don't know how it would handle that.

[This message has been edited by Robert Olesen (edited 12-15-2000).]

A while ago I decided I would not release this without the consent of BTS (in the form of MadMatt). Between the two of us, we'll make the decision on when it's ready. I want this to meet their requirements and expectations. With the recent release of the v1.1 public beta I'm sure BTS is very busy right now (including their testers who have the Mod Manager) and when things settle down I can expect us to move pretty fast on getting this out.

Guest AbnAirCav

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TwoSheds:

I've been using it myself for two months now.

A while ago I decided I would not release this without the consent of BTS ...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Any word on the update Madmatt was headed off to gather? In retrospect, IMHO, perhaps an ill-chosen decision to solicit BTS approval ... there doesn't appear to have been much action. I agree that it does seem like they are fully engaged with their "official" projects. frown.gifMuch as I wish they could, I know they can't do everything at once ...

[This message has been edited by AbnAirCav (edited 12-15-2000).]

This mod manger looks great, I'm looking forward to this ALOT, Curious to what it takes to make a mod complaint with the manger, Is it something us end users can do? Or will the mod makers have to go back and do it themselves? Advantages of a mod being complaint and not complaint?

Eric

Here is a snippet from the ReadMe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

Mods with light bulb icons that are lit were built for the CM Mod Manager

- They will have Author, Version, Description, and Preview Info

Mods with unlit light bulb icons are just plain zip files

- There will be no Author, Version, Description, and Preview Info

- CM Mod Manager will still install BMP and WAV files from these Mods

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Compliant Mods are ones that are built with the supplied Mod Maker. So anyone can actually create Mods (this is a "be careful what you ask for, you might get it") of their favourite nonCompliant mods.

Compliant Mods are still zip files with an info.txt and description.txt file in them that the Mod Manager can parse out the info it needs.

This makes Compliant Mods still work for Mac owners that want to take a Mod and convert them (?? actually not sure of the Mac process once they get a Mod ??)

[This message has been edited by TwoSheds (edited 12-16-2000).]

Guest AbnAirCav

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Madmatt:

It's still being worked on. I will check back with some of the guys that were helping me to test it and see if I can get an update.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did I miss a thread with an update?

No, that's why I started this thread, because nothing had been heard for so long on this topic..

------------------

-- Panzerlied

Guest AbnAirCav

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sgt. Steiner:

No, that's why I started this thread, because nothing had been heard for so long on this topic..

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Eh? Ummm, the quote I posted is Madmatt's posting to this thread, where he indicated that he would try to get an update on BTS' testing progress ... and since it's been a few days since he posted I was looking for the update and since I didn't see it in this thread I wondered if it was in another. Hope that's clearer.

MadMatt is swamped with enough work for 5 MadBots right now. I'm coordinating the Beta Tests right now with 5 users. Results are coming back now from them and there hasn't been any serious issues or crashes, so I expect to wrap a bow on this and get it out next week.