Best Operational Strategy Game?

Guest Pillar

Guest Pillar

What is the best Operational Strategy game? Or, because this is wargaming, I guess I should say what are the relative strengths and weakness' of the various Operational wargames available right now?

I'm also interested in a Strategical WW2 game of some sort, if there are any.

Thanks.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pillar:

What is the best Operational Strategy game? Or, because this is wargaming, I guess I should say what are the relative strengths and weakness' of the various Operational wargames available right now?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would say HPS Smolensk 41, fun and not too complex.The Operational Art of War is a much more complex game and maybe not suitable for a beginner.

For grand strategy, I would say War in Russia, Clash of Steel and Third Reich (unless you are a player of the boardgame of the latter, in which case you will nitpick the game to death because it doesn't model Spain entering the War as the board game does and such things) wink.gif

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention The Ardennes Offensive, and it is free from SSG.

Henri

[This message has been edited by Henri (edited 08-06-2000).]

Guest Pillar

Well, I am looking for something of the complexity of TOAW.

Unfortunately, much like www.army.mil, my computer won't let me run TOAW. I don't know what it is, and nor do all the countless experts and technical support people I've been through...but the game just crashes every time I load a scenario up. Unusually, it will work once every 20 times or so I try.

Figures eh? The two biggest war-related computer resources and my "perfectly-capable-of-running-quake-at-1600x1200-32bit-resolution" won't access either of them. LOL.

My luck. wink.gif

Guest SS Peiper

Pillar did you try runing at 16bit?? Samething happen to me and when I change it to 16 bit it work fine.

SS Peiper

Guest Pillar

Thanks I'll check out "Highway to the Reich"

Anyone else have any idea how I can get TOAW working?

I've got the Wargame of the Year Edition with patch. V770 TNT2 p500/100 mx300 soundcard be6 motherboard and Quantim Fireball UltraATA/66 Harddrive.

It's a damn fine machine, but it won't run the simple stuff tongue.gif

luckily, it works fine with CM!! *THANK GOODNESS* smile.gif

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Flipper:

hmm..how about "highway to the reich" definatly an interesting game.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is that still in print? I got it when it first came out (1977?). I even still have a first edition rulebook.

Seems to me though that the unit size (companies) is a tad small to consider it an operational-level game. But then, taking the game as a whole, maybe you're right.

Reminds me of GDW's Avalanche in that respect.

Michael

Pillar

I would second Henri's recommendation of Panzer Campaigns: Smolensk '41. The second in the series is Normandy '44. Now if there were just a way to play operationally in the Panzer Campaigns series, and then drop to CM for tactical resolution of the actual battles...

Elmo

My favorite "Air" game is talonsoft's "Battle of Britain". If you have even an interest in this early air battle this game is for you. I like its successor,12'oclock High, but it runs too slow on my machine--and is a bit too overwhelming..

I agree that Highway to the Reich is an outstanding board game. Don't forget the other giants--Atlantic Wall, Campaigns for North Africa, and Wacht am Rhein. Great mega games that rarely got played....to bad.....

-------Chris

------------------

Land Soft--Kill Quiet

Pillar

I had the same problem with TOAW! My problem was there is a conflict between the VIA chipset and the Vortex soundcard chipset (TB Montego). I could not run Talonsoft games and many others. Went out and bought SB-Live no more problems. Not sure what you have but you might look into this. Via and Turtle Beach were no help!

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Airborne:

I agree that Highway to the Reich is an outstanding board game. Don't forget the other giants--Atlantic Wall, Campaigns for North Africa, and Wacht am Rhein. Great mega games that rarely got played....to bad.....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have Atlantic Wall. It's got a lot going for it, but it always put me off the way they reduced all the terrain in Normandy to bocage and left out the hills and woods, etc. I liked Cobra better even though it was more rudimentary in some ways.

Wacht am Rein is a marvel. I still regard it as a lesson in how to design a WW II operational game.

I'm surprised that no-one has mentioned GDW who for years put out excellent games. Sadly, they are gone now, but their best-known game set, Europa, was taken over by GR/D and kept alive and evolving. Also GDW produced in the early '80s Operation Crusader, which has to be the all-time greatest game I'll probably never play. Just reading the rule book was worth the price of the game.

Ah, sweet memories... smile.gif

Michael

[This message has been edited by Michael emrys (edited 08-05-2000).]

What version of TOAW are you playing? The "Wargame of the Year" edition solved a lot of the problems with crashing. However it means buying a whole new game even though Talonsoft has a discount offer if you own the older version of the game.

I own the old monster from Avalon Hill called "The Longest Day" ( should have been called The Longest Game) but I love it. TOAW WOTY has the full company-battalion level Overlord operation which is a computer version of "The Longest Day", so I play it along with CM.

HPS has an Overlord Operation based on their Panzer series but I can't comment on it as I haven't played it.

Hope you can solve your problem with TOAW because it's a great game.

------------------

Blessed be the Lord my strength who teaches my hands to war and my fingers to fight.

From my point of view The Ardennes Offensive is the best Operational wargame for PC. The game is small, you don't need latest hardware to run it, interface is clean,

AI is very good - infact the best I have ever seen in a operational wargame on a computer.

Peter

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JeffRaider:

I just downloaded the V4V series, and it's great! One question/gripe, though. . . I'm getting EXTREMELY sluggish mouse movement. I have to lift my mouse up three or four times to roll to the top of the screen. Anyone have any ideas?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you on a Mac? If so, you should have a mouse control panel that will allow you to reset mouse speed. I know, it's a pain in the ass because you will have to reset it back for your other applications, but...

Michael

Oh yeah cna wacht am rhein...I gottem all! I was a monster game collector ; ) have you ever heard of "street's of stalingrad" by phoneix game's? that's a rare one or the clash of arm's series on the eastern front

The price on some of these is astronomical

these day's, ww2 on the eastern front was a hot topic back then.