Mortar fire from buildings

Guest Captitalistdoginchina

Hi Guys,

Just a quick question, can all types of Mortars fire from inside buildings?

CDIC

------------------

"Death solves all problems - no man no problem"

J.V.Stalin, 1918

LOL =D

kain wrote:

> What about firing out the window? or door?

Damnit, someone's gone serious on us.

You couldn't do that unless you were standing on the threshold, which kind of negates the advantage of being in a building. You can't just stick the mortar out like a gun, because it needs to be at a specific angle, which is more vertical than horizontal.

David

------------------

They lost all of their equipment and had to swim in under machine gun fire. As they struggled in the water, Gardner heard somebody say, "Perhaps we're intruding, this seems to be a private beach."

I can't believe that BTS has not modelled cellars in this game 'cause if they had, that would have been the ideal place to set up my mortar teams...with the commander having control over them set up directly above them on the timber floor, for spotting purposes.

Jim R.

------------------

Inspector: "Does your derg bite?"

Dog Owner: "No, my dog does not bite"

Inspector: "Good derggie (pat, pat...growl- snap!)... Yeeow! I thought you said your derg does not bite!"

Dog Owner: "That is not my dog".

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Aitken:

kain wrote:

> What about firing out the window? or door?

You couldn't do that unless you were standing on the threshold, which kind of negates the advantage of being in a building. You can't just stick the mortar out like a gun, because it needs to be at a specific angle, which is more vertical than horizontal.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unless it's a British 2", which would fire damn near horizontal. Handy thing to have in an urban environment.

Michael

Panzer Man wrote:

Maybe a Tent might work..But it might look like Swiss cheese after a few volleys.

Then again, you'd better be shooting with delayed fuzes. One of my acquitances told that when he was in the army in the 70's they once shoot with a heavy mortar (that didn't fire automatically when a round was dropped down the tube) with a muzzle cover still on.

They were lucky in that the round exploded only after it had flown some 50-100 meters.

- Tommi

MOdern 51mm mortars have two settings on the base plate a vertical and horizontal barrel setting. ALthough primarily set for wather and canopy cover (woods etc) the base plate just needs to be turned through 180 degrees to get either setting.

I do not know whether the older 2" mortars had this setting, if anyon eknows can they say. However if they do it would mean that you could fire the bombs through windows and door ways. However the bombs give a nasty little 'kick' when fired, so if the the mortar was not solidly grounded (the first move taught in basic) then you would probably be in a world of trouble as the mortar skids backwards and the bomb flies out to who knows where?

Hope this hlps a little

If you planned to fire through a window or door, you'd have a wicked narrow firing arc in all directions. Maybe the first mortar could be filled with Deutchmarks to lure the enemy into your tiny zone of fire?

Then again, maybe the screams of the mortar crew who tries to walk the mortar fire would spook the enemy into retreating.

On a more serious related note; It seems mortar fire is done very differently than tank fire. I mean I can place a mortar right next to a building and have it fire over the building - this shouldn't be. The angle of fire does not appear to be taken into account for mortars.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael emrys:

Unless it's a British 2", which would fire damn near horizontal. Handy thing to have in an urban environment.

Michael<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm. I never was able to fire a 2" mortar from inside a building, no matter what the range was.

------------------

Very strong because Mikrowaben!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by robo:

On a more serious related note; It seems mortar fire is done very differently than tank fire. I mean I can place a mortar right next to a building and have it fire over the building - this shouldn't be. The angle of fire does not appear to be taken into account for mortars.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, since it's a high arc, you don't need as much of a forward angle to the mortar tube, Think of it as a lob, like standing next to a house and throwing a baseball over it. If you throw high enough you can make it over, whereas the house would have blocked you if you tried to throw it straight at the target.

So, yes, mortar fire from behind a house is fine. It does decrease the range, though.

Cor Blimey,

On top form today eh guys? I had to laugh out loud all the way thru this thread.....but ya know its a serious question. In the demo i often put a US mortar team in the building ontop of the hill (VoT) and fired mortars (On and off board) from the building - but they were up to 105mm. I also did it in Chance encounter too with the us 60mm mortar.

So my question was really to find out whether it was still allowed in the full game coz i always thought that it was not so realistic. Anyway can this still happen in V1.5 ??

And thanks for the laughs, when i ask a humorous question i get a straight answer - when i ask a serious question i get scarcasm!! If i could get the hang of the smilies i would add some here fellas.

Now i gotta go and chuckle away some more.

CDIC

------------------

"Death solves all problems - no man no problem"

J.V.Stalin, 1918

"What about firing out the window? or door?"

As Pham says you have a very dangerously narrow firing arc that would preclude short range fire. The higher up the mortar points the shorter the range (also you have to figure in the charges). Also every time ou fire a mortar, the baseplate shifts. I've seen a mortar buried halfway into the ground after 30 mins of firing depending on where it's set in. This shifting makes it especially dangerous to fire through a narrow arc.

As to CD's original question the answer is NO.

Los

Reminds me of the Japanese knee mortars. Excellent light mortar, that apparently was responsible for some number of American casualties even after it was taken out of action.

Apparently, America troops (probably Marines, as they are not particularly bright) would attempt to fire the mortar by resting the base against their knee, resulting in a broken femur when the weapon was fired.

The term knee mortar comes from the way it was carried, not the way it was fired...

Jeff Heidman

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Los:

"What about firing out the window? or door?"

As Pham says you have a very dangerously narrow firing arc that would preclude short range fire. The higher up the mortar points the shorter the range (also you have to figure in the charges). Also every time ou fire a mortar, the baseplate shifts. I've seen a mortar buried halfway into the ground after 30 mins of firing depending on where it's set in. This shifting makes it especially dangerous to fire through a narrow arc.

As to CD's original question the answer is NO.

Los<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm, does this mean that if you deployed a mortar on a hard surface like a paved road that the energy that would normally be pounding the mortar into the earth would be forcing it to slide and shift the whole base?

So, mortars are less accurate if used on surfaces that have no "give"?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I can't believe that BTS has not modelled cellars in this game 'cause if they had, that would have been the ideal place to set up my mortar teams...with the commander having control over them set up directly above them on the timber floor, for spotting purposes.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL

Guest Scott Clinton

I for one wish there was an exceptoin for the British 2" mortar.

The 2" was loved for its ability to fire almost horizonally (as well as its quick setup and light weight). It proved very useful in house clearing. Considering its very limited range and blast, without this ability it is of little use in the game now (IMO).

Side note: In AH's Firepower (as man-to-man level game) this baby rocks! Its damn near heavy arty on that level and I remember worrying about its minimum range! wink.gif

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

In the case of firing a mortar on a hard surface you either have to sandbag in the baseplate or reset everything after a few shots. It can still be accurate, but to maintain accuracy requires a reduction in ROF. It's why you usually don't set up a mortar in a parking lot. (Puts a lot more stress on the tube also)

Keep in mind the smaller the mortar the less ever an issue this becomes.

Los