Bravery underfire and Heroism in Action

AAR.... (Play testing new Custom Designed Scenario)

Today while testing a new scenario I saw (I still can't believe it) with my own eyes and Elite British paratroop HQ unit, (with one casualty) close assault an immobolized Tiger 1 tank and KNOCK IT out. Many, many german tanks where advancing on bridge held by British Para's and their Piats where unbelievably lethal! ( the Para's have NO armour support)

Also another glider squad on the next turn snook up on an immobolized King Tiger (it had crossed the bridge and was wreaking havoc in the backfield) and KO'd it with nothing but grenades I think, as they where all out of anything heavier.

The British were severly mauled (lossing the battle to the 15 Germ AFVs the AI attacked with) but for a company of airbourne infantry with nothing bigger than Piats and satchel charges to KO a Tiger and A King Tiger... Well that looked like heroism to Me!

The AI had only one avenue of approach and did not use its limited infantry very wisely, I think. Anyway it was one hell of a heated battle and the British Piats knocked out 6 or 7 AFVs on or before they hit the Bridge. They were holding there own and doing great until they ran out of ammo.

And then along comes "Mr I'm not scared of these little pea shooters" Tiger tank and he acts like a bull dozer and tries to push two german tank wrecks off the bridge and then BANG, hit to the tracks and he's immobolized just trying to get off the bridge. One British para unit and an HQ unit are sent in to swarm him in a close assualt and the 3 man Elite HQ unit gets there first and actually Brews him up, KO'd and flaming! with no other units having had a shot at him yet.

I have witnessed some Elite British Para units act in the most heroic ways and often with the most astonishingly positive results.

Never under estimate the strength of an Elite 4 man British HQ unit. They seem fearless! (They are not indestructable, they do get shot up like everyone else, but they are unbelievably brave when they close assault tanks.)

-tom w

I've got one better.. I was playing a small QB with 1 M-26 , 2 M-24s and some infantry (US). My light tanks were knocked out but I had taken out all of the german armour. I (foolishly) started 'hunting' with my heavy tank and it lost its tracks fairly close to a building.. All of a sudden, this German SS infantry unit (not sure if it was a squad or HQ) which was down to ONE man starts charging across at me from the building and close assaults my tank-- and takes it out. He almost immediately died but, man, did he have balls ...... Pretty neat stuff.

-----Chris

------------------

Land Soft--Kill Quiet

I had two bazooka teams crouched in houses on either side of a roadway as a Panzer came their way. I got them to ambush fire at the same time- one's bazooka only hit the tank with no real effect. the other guy, a green unit, set his building on fire with his bazooka! The tank mowed him down as he ran screaming from the flaming building.

The other bazooka missed, twice, and ran for it, out of ammo. I had to have an entire squad charge the tank and crawl on it with grenades to take it out.

Here's a good one I saw. A Sherman gets taken out by an AT team on the second floor of a very nearby building. The two surviving veteran tankers run to that very building. After several minutes, when the crew was "OK" again, I sent them up the stairs to get revenge with their pistols. When the Schreck team saw the pistol wielding duo they pivoted their schreck towards them. That was all they did before dying. Sweet revenge for the tankers, and a panzerschreck as a souvenir.

------------------

Gilamonster

Back in the days of ol' (Demo) a single rifle squad of an overrun platoon in last defense stayed hidden as the enemy advanced past it (I had used fionns tactic of setting an ambush in the forest in front of the stonewall) popped up and accounted for 34 enemy kills and 2 enemy mortars before it was panicked by lack of a hq unit

------------------

The names Ash, Housewares

mgwhore.gif

[This message has been edited by Ash (edited 08-03-2000).]