Newbi with a Q/suggestion

zurich31

Hi,

I would like to know (as the commander in-charge of my forces) How do I track enemy movement? ie: on the map, I should be able to plot and track opfor "sighted" movement. This is info that I have already received from one/many of my units out there in the field.

Sorry if I'm just missing a check-box/button or something and also if this Q has been asked/answered before.

Thanks for the help,

Zurich31

You are only shown enemy unit markers when they are currently spotted by one of your units. Units can become unspotted by moving out of the line of sight of your units, or your units moving out of line of sight, or sometimes simply by ceasing their fire and or stopping all movement.

Some folks like to print paper copies of the maps, cover them with plastic, and track enemy sightings on that. There is a folder named "Print Maps" in your TacOps folder than contains map art files that have been optimized for printing - at normal, reduced, or enlarged scale.

Hi Zurich,

A couple of things. If you want a "god-like" intel picture, simply reset the fog-of-war option to show enemy units all of the time. This can be useful for scenario development work.

Of course a real NATO Battalion Commander normally has an S2 [intelligence] staff officer to do this for him. If you are playing a team game, you might get one of your team mates to play this role. If your opponent is playing a particular OPFOR organization and doctrine, an S2 can be insturmental in figuring out his plan.

If you are playing solitare and just want to ease your work load, add a few UAVs to make spotting easier.

The hardest thing to simulate is the "quality" of information. In reality, the tactical value of a previous spotting goes down with time. If you cannot maintain contact with a unit long enough to put fires on it, you end up with lots of "spot reports" clogging your map that only tell you what you already know.

Hope some of this is useful.

Enjoy the game.