Bye-bye BTS message board...

After using this new message board format I've decided not to come back untill it's redone, if, it's redone. It was totally frustrating having to load EACH topic and ALL of it's threads and scroll through the WHOLE list of EVERY text just to try to get to the singular thread that interested me...which happens to be the comments BTS makes in response to topic threads. In the past when I followed BTS comments, you could get the jist of the thread from the copied text they replied to as well their most important responses, then if it interested me I would go back and read the poster's comments...you guys really screwed the pooch on this one.

As for me the next time I learn anything regarding CM will be when Combat Simulations puts out an article that it has been released or the alert email BTS sends me periodically.

I won't be returning to this message board anymore frown.gif

I had 3 quick bookmarks on my Netscape Personal Toolbar one of which was this BTS message forum which I checked almost daily. It's very disappointing that I should loose this place that held so much interest to me for so long.

My feelings regarding the change is a loud and definate BOOOO!

Guest Big Time Software

Well, we certainly aren't doing anything just because someone throws a tantrum. Criticism of the new board is important to us, but not when coupled with childish remarks like:

"...you guys really screwed the pooch on this one. "

Reread the agreement you had to read before registering to use this board. It should have made it VERY clear that immature, childish, rants are not welcome here. You are entitled to your opinion, but understand that we are not entitled to have any respect for it. There have been other complaints about this board, most of which I have spent hours to address. The reason was they were mature, well reasoned, rational arguments for change. For your complaints, you get nothing.

We are not going back to the chaos that was the old boards. I had to use it more than anybody else, and I also had to maintain it. There is no way we are going back to it. So either adjust to the change, or go somewhere else for Combat Mission information. The choice is yours.

Steve

• 1 year later...

i just was digging through the forum, looking what the eldest post was...

hmm

the content makes me think there must be messages somewhere that are even older... redface.gif

Where can i find them? Why did they vanish?

biggrin.gif

------------------

TargetDrone

who has a heart for smilies

and will defend their rights ....

even if the cost is bloody....

Too bad someone would gladly pass on the occasion to feast on the wealth of information one can find there just because it's often ressembling Datamining.

There is a newborn CM Ring around, wait till they can supply some info for you.

But be aware that some of them DO host a forum much like this one...

Steve, as always you are not only fathering a tremondous game but sporting a VERY long time fuse.

Say, should I split with my wife (much like you in completely different biggrin.gif) would you date me?

Boy, what can I do to have the game first and almost?

*WINK*

------------------

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PawBroon:

Boy, what can I do to have the game first and almost? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Arghhh did I say ALMOST?

Foremost if my english classes were worth a penny (Not often the case here in France).

BTW Max, I guess that the UBB has a nasty Freudian ring to some if they decide to give us the boot after a mere 3 posts.

------------------

I just want to get this right. You mean to tell me that you are not coming back to the forum regarding the best land based war game ever made to date? Am I reading you right? The forum where this group spills out ideas, comments (both negitive and positive), promotes discussions and debates etc etc.??

I just don't understand why you would want to give that up.

sniperscope

Sniper,

You say that because you are a ravening bright sider.

Why would anyone want to stay here where not only the game is great but the discussion about which are so enlighting that they could surely teach some tricks to the most seasonned grognard?

Or rather where you could see a post of a Sherman raming a Stug (I can picture some sites featuring some sort of raming though.

And even worst, where you could find the actual BTS guys willing to listen and even tweak atfer some hints.

Boy, that's way too overwhelming.

Sniper, some of us are just not satisfied by that...

biggrin.gif

------------------

Well - I guess WarDogzzzzz certainly told us! I really like the UBB system (we actually own a copy at work for communication on large, group projects). Despite his childish comments, WarDogz did make one good point: There are a lot of threads on the board each day, and it can sometimes be difficult to find what you are looking for. My suggestion would be to subdivide the board into a few forums. For example, have an OT forum, tactics forum, pbem forum, tech advice, etc. Many/most other sites (including ours at work) use several forums to make things more manageable. BTS could even appoint a few "trusted" souls to moderate some of the forums (eg Madmatt as moderator of a "Mod" forum). I've proposed this idea in the past once or twice, and it was summarily dismissed by the few people that managed to respond to it. Can anyone point out the drawbacks to this? The only one that I can see is that you might have to "browse" though a few different forums if you're not looking for anything in particular. The up-side is that you don't have to skim over irrelevant posts if you ARE looking for something specific. Waiting for comments with bated breath smile.gif

NOTE: ONE SMILEY WAS FORCED AT GUNPOINT TO PARTICIPATE IN THIS POSTING

Guest Big Time Software

Geeze, this one came back from the dead smile.gif

The BBS before this was the freescript BBS that I have now totally forgotten the name of. It was an absolutely horrible thing to manage and is greatly inferior to the UBB (which is why it seems everybody uses UBB smile.gif). The discussions on the old BBS are no longer available, but there is nothing way back when that isn't here now. Plus, you couldn't do a SEARCH on the old BBS (one of its many problems) so there isn't much good looking at it even if you could.

Steve

I believe his complete was with the UBB format (note the original topic is over a year old). The older BTS message board used different software. It would list all of the threads in outline format. You would have to open each response to a thread seperatly (if I remember correctly)

His complaint was that it was no longer possible to only read BTSs responses without reading the whole thread. There were a fair number of posts in the old format, which never made it into the archives here. I think the old board went up in July or August of '98, and then was switched to this format in Feb. of '99.

Gah, I've been reading this board since September of '98 :P Is it bad that I was around before Fionn was (I think I remember his first posts, at least...)

steve, you see, necromantic blood pulses through my veins and mine is the power to bring back the dead... biggrin.gif

well, actually i was just curious, so i dug out this post.. (as it was the last one in the row... or lets say... nearly the last one... there was a post from capt_manieri, with an invalid date format biggrin.gif )

------------------

TargetDrone

who has a heart for smilies

and will defend their rights ....

even if the cost is bloody....

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mannheim Tanker:

Well - I guess WarDogzzzzz certainly told us! I really like the UBB system (we actually own a copy at work for communication on large, group projects). Despite his childish comments, WarDogz did make one good point: There are a lot of threads on the board each day, and it can sometimes be difficult to find what you are looking for. My suggestion would be to subdivide the board into a few forums. For example, have an OT forum, tactics forum, pbem forum, tech advice, etc. Many/most other sites (including ours at work) use several forums to make things more manageable. BTS could even appoint a few "trusted" souls to moderate some of the forums (eg Madmatt as moderator of a "Mod" forum). I've proposed this idea in the past once or twice, and it was summarily dismissed by the few people that managed to respond to it. Can anyone point out the drawbacks to this? The only one that I can see is that you might have to "browse" though a few different forums if you're not looking for anything in particular. The up-side is that you don't have to skim over irrelevant posts if you ARE looking for something specific. Waiting for comments with bated breath<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

At least not with bad breath...

I would second that. I particularly would like to have a different forum for spoiler posts where scenarios and operations from the CD and from people like Bill etc. can be debated.

Disclaimer: I have no clue how much work that would be and whether it is possible, time-wise, for Steve and Charles to do.

------------------

Andreas

The powers of accurate perception are often called cynicism by those who do not possess them. (forgot who said it)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WarDogz:

...you guys really screwed the pooch on this one.

As for me the next time I learn anything regarding CM will be when Combat Simulations puts out an article that it has been released or the alert email BTS sends me periodically.

I won't be returning to this message board anymore frown.gif

My feelings regarding the change is a loud and definate BOOOO!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

GRRRRrrr! mad.gif well Steve asked me to tone it down so I guess i better. All I can say is sorry you feel that way WarDogz and

remember to mind the Door/Ass axiom. wink.gif

You don't like UBB-boards? Kinda reminds me about a Blackadder-episode. Read and weep (or laugh).

Lord Blackadder, Percy Precy and Baldrick are on a big galleon with a legless captain (think his name is mad jack).

Their plan is to sail from England to France but after 2 months they still hadn't reached this land.

The story continues.....

Capt: I have a confession to make

Blackadder: What?

Capt: I don't know the way to France.

Blackadder: Ooh God, well maybe the crew knows the way?

Capt: Crew?....sir?

Blackadder: Yes crew...every ship needs crew you know.

Capt: Well...the ideas are divided on that part.

Blackadder: What do you mean?

Capt: Well...every captain says yo DO need a crew, and I say you DON'T.

To make a short story shorter. Change "crew" into UBB and you see what i mean smile.gif

Guest Big Time Software

Thanks Armorbuff smile.gif And I think the door/ass thing is a prefect metaphore for closing up the OLDEST THREAD smile.gif

Steve