Waaay O/T: anyone build a 1/25 Panther?

Hey all... I'm thinking about picking up one of Academy's 1/25 motorized tank model kits, either the Panther or JagdP. Anyone out there build either of these? If so, gimme your opinion asap wink.gif oh... i mean, please smile.gif

------------------

In fighting and in everyday life you should be determined though calm. Meet the situation without tenseness yet not recklessly, your spirit settled yet unbiased. An elevated spirit is weak and a low spirit is weak. Do not let the enemy see your spirit. -- M.M.

I have built the 1/25th panther. It is an old kit, originally done by tamaya. It has a LOT of inaccuracies, the biggest being it is missing the entire interior set of interleaved road wheels. Of course, unless you look you'll never see that, and it does finish nicely. It has individual track links that work very well, along with working torsion bar suspension. If you condiser the dirth of 1/25th kits, it's ok.

I built Tamaiya's re-release 1/25th Tiger I and was so happy with it I decided to get the Panther to augment it. I was a bit depressed by the kit, but not too much. I think it's worth building, just don't expect too much. As I said before, it does finish very nicely. It would have been a great kit in 1980.

It's no where NEAR the quality of the M-18. It's simply another re-hashed old Tamaiya kit.

Chris

[This message has been edited by Zamo (edited 06-13-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Formerly Babra:

I didn't know Academy was re-releasing other kits. Thanks for the Heads Up.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, the 1/25 Panther and Jagdpanther come in two styles (that much I've figured out on my own smile.gif )... one with one large motor and one with two motors, one for each track, I assume. I've been told that the older version, the one motor series, may have a problem with the chassis riding too high, probably to give more clearance to the tracks. I'm waiting on a couple of "experts" to weigh in before I throw down the $50 on either one. Actually, I'd love to pick up the Tamiya Panther, but don't have $200 to throw at the moment... smile.gif Anyway, both the 1/25 Panther and Jagdpanther are available at www.internethobbies.com , www.phoenix-model.com , www.hobbylandinc.com , and the nice guy at www.blitzkrieghobby.com has offered to get me one after he's found out more info for me on the quality of the kit, etc. And now it's late and I'm rambling... if anyone else has any thoughts, on either model, please feel free to ring in smile.gif

------------------

In fighting and in everyday life you should be determined though calm. Meet the situation without tenseness yet not recklessly, your spirit settled yet unbiased. An elevated spirit is weak and a low spirit is weak. Do not let the enemy see your spirit. -- M.M.

Who makes the finest overall WWII tank model kits? IIRC, there was a big

military model convention held just a few months ago and I think there

was talk on the forum of resin kits that were supposed to be the ultimate

in AFV models.

I built the Academy 1/25 Panther with remote.

I think the kit differences available today either include the remote or do not include the remote. Price difference is $4.

In any case, I was always pleased with how well every part went together. I have no complaints whatsoever regarding this kit. In fact, it is the finest model I have ever built.

Richard Kalajian