Suggestion for the relase of 1.02 (to avoid pirates)

How about requiring some sort of registration to get this patch? Maybe TGN with their extensive network could handle this process? It wouldn't keep it from reaching warez eventually but at least long enough to annoy the bastards smile.gif.

Marcus

Don't know yet frown.gif. I assume so according to the posts here. Although the demo was pretty flawless too.

It would be cool if they added some extra goodies they couldn't add due to the deadlines. Maybe some units or tiles?

This suggestion was serious though. All it takes is one unique code handed out to each registred member. In order to download you need to enter this code.

Marcus

There is no long term solution to software piracy. It hurts the entire industry, but there is no fighting it.

-I

------------------

Igotmilk (the original? Oh joy...),

Since we don't allow SPAMMING on our BBS (read the Agreement) you just made the Ban List because that is all you are here to do. And it is all I have seen you do on the CC forums as well. Your reputation preceeds you by a couple of years.

Sorry if YOU are so insecure that you can't take someone discussing CM on a public forum, even though we allow people to discuss CC here on this one. Clearly you are threatened, but that is not our problem.

Yes, we have asked that people not bother close minded folks like you, but we are not little mind controllers and therefore people can do whatever it is they want. If the moderators on the CC forum want to stop SPAMMING, they can. Just as we are stoping you.

Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by marcusm:

All it takes is one unique code handed out to each registred member. In order to download you need to enter this code.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Registered member of what? It's not like you join a club by ordering CM...

------------------

"Oh, German! I'm sorry, I thought there was something wrong with you."

Piracy or not, Bigtime Software will reap the fruits of their labor; And they deserve every bit of it for a job well done.

Now, if my copy would hurry up and arrive I'd be extremely happy. The demo is getting boring. smile.gif

Guest Rollstoy

I think it is not possible to patch a pirated version, because that would mean to re-activate the CD-ROM copy protection, wouldn't it? If I am right then the copy protection is in the .exe file which is replaced by the patched .exe-file. This means that you have to have a patched *and* cracked file to play without the game CD!

Regards, Thomm

Forget the anti-piracy stuff, the only people who get screwed and have to jump through hoops are the people who bought the game. Pirates will remove every protection just as fast as BTS adds 'em. And who pays for it? The buying public. BTS is right on the money with their statement. Casual piracy can be thwarted with some rudimetary protections but leave out the hard core stuff out, it isn't going to work.

rastak

. Pirates will remove every protection just as fast as BTS adds 'em. And who pays for it?

============================================

I used to believe this too. But with the recent successes of Quake3 and Halflife cd-keys this might not be true anymore. It's very hard to crack those codes so it seems. The Useenet is full of idiots asking for cd-keys smile.gif.

Plus to the others. It will not stop them but it will annoy them to hell. It wont annoy us very much (how hard is it to plug in some numbers first time you install).

Marcus

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by marcusm:

I used to believe this too. But with the recent successes of Quake3 and Halflife cd-keys this might not be true anymore. It's very hard to crack those codes so it seems. The Useenet is full of idiots asking for cd-keys smile.gif.

Plus to the others. It will not stop them but it will annoy them to hell. It wont annoy us very much (how hard is it to plug in some numbers first time you install).

Marcus<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah, but the catch (with Half Life multiplayer anyways) is that you have to verify through WON.net each time you want to play. Their servers are up and down all the time and it is a big pain in the butt type of copy protection. The WON.net verification has already been defeated however. This shows that no form of copy protection, other than some form of public/private key cryptography, is easily defeated...

I think the best method to stop piracy is to develop a culture with higher moral fabric. Sure that's probably the hardest method, but if we were to forget all this crap that passes for education today and teach our kids "it's wrong to steal, steal and you'll burn in hell!!!" then guess what, pack your bags fellas, the war's over.

Software and music piracy is just a symptom of a far greater problem. One that isn't going to be fixed, until the next civilization rises from our ruins.

BTS has done a great job getting people involved in the CM community. Which in turn, creates a sense of belonging, of being a part of CM and that, I believe, is a great means of disuading casual piracy. With Steve and Charles almost as friends, who here would steal from them? Obviously a real dirtbag. A lout of the highest order. I hope he disolves in his own stomach juices...

I'm not any big morality crusader and haven't been to church since childhood, but I really do think deteriorating morality and declining culteral identity are the biggest causes of all sorts of problems. Piracy, drugs, teen pregnancy, crime...it's all part of the same, big picture of decay. Wish I knew how to fix it...without draconian measures nobody would agree to anyhow. Think I'll go reread Starship Troopers again.

Sorry for the rant.

Zamo

Zamo

I agree fully with you. Personally I¨ve allways believed in education instead of sledgehammers (at least not until all options have been expended). They need to be taught that this is a moral issue not just a "law".

I freely admit that I also used to do warez in the 80's with the Amiga. It was "Cool" and those with most stuff were the coolest. It never occured to me that this was stealing and wrong. In fact it wasn't even illegal here until later. It was only after I read articles and were taught about the wrongness I learned otherwise. Basically it was like shoplifting which I also leárned through experince (and a sore butt) that it was wrong.

Marcus