Who here LOVES the M24 Chaffee?

I love lots of unloved tanks. While some people get their cranks turned by Jumboes and Jagdtigers, I think the M24 is a hell of a support tank. Never bogs down, fast reacting 75 is good on fast moving halftracks, and good at hiding.

I like the Hellcat and Archer as stalkers, but rarely take the Archer or get it in random battles. Perhaps my favorite is the M8 -- cheap and good infantry support as long as you keep it out of the way.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PBLWGs:

...THE LITTLE TANK THAT COULD!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes in my opinion the main thing in CMBO is to find any kind of 75mm with 'c' ammo or better.

On most maps (800x800 or less) I've found any kind of 75mm to be a highly effective weapon against 'most targets, most of the time.'

At 95 points with a Green crew the Chaffee is one of my 'best buys' when it comes to tanks.

It is certainly the fastest fully-tracked vehicle in the game, and it is _fully armored_.

That's a fairly good bargain for 95 points.

All of those 'hifalutin' 76mm and '75LL' and 88 AFVs are just 'too expensive.'

So buy one with a Green crew and save 6 points. They seem to fire 'ok..' you just have to anticipate better and give longer orders (20 second command delay).

Winning a battle using Chaffees with Green crews as 'part of the team' is gratifying.

Andy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Colin:

Hellcats are the fastest AFVs I believe.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And in my opinion, the best. Just get them ripping at top speed around the enemy's flank, pop into LOS, and byebye Panzers!

------------------

There is nothing certain about war except that one side won't win.

-Ian Hamilton

Guest Michael emrys

I think my chief gripe against the Chafee is that it carries less ammo than the Sherman. And of course it's less well armored.

The gun on the Stuart seems to be as effective at getting dug-in infantry to move their butts.

Michael

Well Hellcat is fast for sure, but at the cost of armor. I just whacked two zipping around my flank in PBEM. They do have to stop if they want to hit something. It seems I always have STU III around, a great bang for the buck. Just my 2¢ wink.gif

Big Dog

Hot Damn I'm A Member cool.gif

[This message has been edited by Bigdog (edited 09-20-2000).]

All God's Panzers are special... just gotta find out what they good at.

The PSW 234/3 with a Vet crew for 84 C-Marks- that's a bargain.

StuGIII and the StubbyH are practically free, for what they can do.

Puma rox dewdz, but I usually avoid it because of its rarity. Hetzers- crappy body styling but effective (& cheap) in their role. Did someone say MkIV?

As an Axis kinda guy, I know I hate Greyhounds and even those zippy little-bitty Brit things. Stuarts have their uses, since the game doesn't model star flares. The Chaffee has a great role if you don't treat it as an MBT.

Disadvantaged armor is cool, and you get the closest parking spaces. But please, no Hotchkiss fans- you have your own support group/recycling centers, and you need them.

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark IV:

But please, no Hotchkiss fans- you have your own support group/recycling centers, and you need them.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[chuckle]

Good one! biggrin.gif

Michael