Unit status problem

SKELLEN

I have just d/l the demo for TacOps (Mac version) and all seems fine except a minor problem with the Unit status screen. The text seems split up and some text shows on the scroll bar strangely, but if I copy to the clipboard all is fine.

Any ideas please and would this problem arise in the full version?

I'm using an iMac 700mhz/512mb with OSX & OS 9.2.2 if it's of any help.

> I have just d/l the demo for TacOps (Mac version) and all

> seems fine except a minor problem with the Unit status

> screen. The text seems split up and some text shows on the

> scroll bar strangely, but if I copy to the clipboard all is

> fine.

> Any ideas please and would this problem arise in the full

> version?

> I'm using an iMac 700mhz/512mb with OSX & OS 9.2.2 if it's

> of any help.

Anything that happens on your Mac while using the demo is almost certainly also going to happen with the full version.

Yours is the first report of this. It looks like something on your Mac is converting the single space between words into a one or two inch gap. Since your clipboard screen shot showed the OSX type window, I presume that you are running the demo in Mac Classic mode. I will setup my Mac for Classic mode and take a look at this today.

To help me out please try the following things and let me know what you see.

A. While in OSX Mac Classic mode, load up the Basic Training scenario. Confirm that the Game Status Report still behaves as you mentioned. Then select the Reports/Logistics Report menu item and let me know if that text window is also screwed up.

B. Reboot in OS9 and repeat the experiment.

I think that most of my current Mac users choose to boot in OS9 when playing "legacy" games, just to be on the safe side.

I could not replicate what you saw.

Which version of OSX are you using? Are you running any non Apple system enhancements that might have anything to do with how text appears in windows and dialogs? Have you customized the appearance of text or windows in any way?

I downloaded the Mac version of the demo. I started up my Mac G4 tower in OSX (v10.2.8) and double clicked on the TacOps application icon. The Mac went into the tedious startup cycle for Mac Classic mode and after half a cup of coffee, the TacOps start up screen appeared. I loaded Basic Training, set up the units, and selected the Reports/Game Status Report menu item. It displayed the correct spacing.

I then rebooted in OS9 (9.2.2) and repeated the experiment. The report again displayed correctly.

If you can not resolve this on your Mac then you should not buy the full version.

Originally posted by MajorH:

Anything that happens on your Mac while using the demo is almost certainly also going to happen with the full version.

Yours is the first report of this. It looks like something on your Mac is converting the single space between words into a one or two inch gap. Since your clipboard screen shot showed the OSX type window, I presume that you are running the demo in Mac Classic mode. I will setup my Mac for Classic mode and take a look at this today.

To help me out please try the following things and let me know what you see.

A. While in OSX Mac Classic mode, load up the Basic Training scenario. Confirm that the Game Status Report still behaves as you mentioned. Then select the Reports/Logistics Report menu item and let me know if that text window is also screwed up.

B. Reboot in OS9 and repeat the experiment.

I think that most of my current Mac users choose to boot in OS9 when playing "legacy" games, just to be on the safe side. [/QB]

The Status Report is still showing the same problem and the Logistics Report is fine in Classic mode.

In OS9 it is exactly the same as above, which is slightly annoying as every other report seems to display wonderful except the Status Report - very odd.

Originally posted by MajorH:

I could not replicate what you saw.

Which version of OSX are you using? Are you running any non Apple system enhancements that might have anything to do with how text appears in windows and dialogs? Have you customized the appearance of text or windows in any way?

I downloaded the Mac version of the demo. I started up my Mac G4 tower in OSX (v10.2.8) and double clicked on the TacOps application icon. The Mac went into the tedious startup cycle for Mac Classic mode and after half a cup of coffee, the TacOps start up screen appeared. I loaded Basic Training, set up the units, and selected the Reports/Game Status Report menu item. It displayed the correct spacing.

I then rebooted in OS9 (9.2.2) and repeated the experiment. The report again displayed correctly.

If you can not resolve this on your Mac then you should not buy the full version.

I am using OS X 10.3.1 and I'm not running any system enhancements (except for Cocktail) for text and I've not customized any windows in any way.

I don't understand what the problem is obviously and I can't see what else I can do short of reinstalling my system software, which I don't particularly want to do. I also tried Disk Utility in the hope this might help but to no avail.

I thought it could be Cocktail causing the problem but then I have the same problem in OS9, which doesn't use Cocktail. :confused:

Originally posted by Redwolf:

My knee-jerk analysis of the problem ist that the text widget used here might have been overwritten with an "enhanced" version by the installation of an application (either settings or code).

Skellen, do you have unusual applications installed?

I have installed various application/demos from CDs over time the same as anyone, but it could be any one of those, if at all for all I know.

For what its worth ...

I just did a line by line comparison of the Mac routines that do the Game Status Report and the routines that do the other text reports and the only significant difference that I could find was that the Game Status Report uses Monaco font (every character and space is supposed to be the same wdith) while the others use Geneva font (characters have variable widths).