Computer Gaming World Review..WOW!

Guest Bad Ju Ju

Great review. "Best computer wargame" ever developed (or words akin) is becomming a delightful mantra. Congrats BTS on another stellar review.

BTS, if the PC Gamer review caused you to sell out of the 2nd batch faster than anticipated, then this review may likely do the same. Here's to selling out the 3rd batch. One word of advice, invest some of that money in upgraded graphics for CM2. That, and lack of TCP/IP, seem to be the number one complaints in these reviews. If you do not update the graphics for CM2, then you will get dinged hard. I can see it now, "much like the first game using the now dated graphics...."

Note: I'm not saying the graphics in CM1 are bad, I love them and think they're great. I'm just projecting into the future.

------------------

Jeff Abbott

Is the CGW review the same as the Gamespot Review? I know there is an affiliation between the two and it appears that Bruce Geryk did both reviews. Is it a word for word (or slightly edited) copy of Gamespot's or is it at all different?

Here's hoping the review fuels even more sales.

--Philistine

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Juardis:

One word of advice, invest some of that money in upgraded graphics for CM2. That, and lack of TCP/IP, seem to be the number one complaints in these reviews. If you do not update the graphics for CM2, then you will get dinged hard. I can see it now, "much like the first game using the now dated graphics...." Note: I'm not saying the graphics in CM1 are bad, I love them and think they're great. I'm just projecting into the future.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My roommate who is a programmer at Relic (Homeworld) saw me playing this and said that one thing would change the look of CM dramatically, proper lighting. Oh, I say, well let's just wish for dynamic lighting too, eh?

How about the terrain and models shades from passing tracer fire, explosions, gunflares too! Wouldn't that be just dandy watching a nighttime firefight? LOL. I told him previously that I thought Homeworld should have a straight screensaver mode so that you can just leave it on and watch some of those beautiful space battles out of the corner of your eye. I'd do the same thing with Combat Mission.

Of course, any new lighting scheme (not talking about dynamic lighting) will add more to the engine needs. If you want to see totally advanced lighting in a game, I suggest you look at the demo trailer for Neverwinter Nights. OMG.

Everything else in the graphics is reasonable for the amount of units you see on the board. The soldier models, more animations, all of that is just candy IMO.

The only way to do it right would be to use T&L. Now, many wargamers have T&L in their video cards? I do...but I am one of the few... trust me when I say this has been discussed at lenght for CM1. As for the graphics....CM can push more triangles then Quake III. Remember every tank and human figure and etc etc is chewing on the memory. The graphics aren't as good as quake 3 is a common complaint I see. Hmm...according to more then one source who programmed, they could only do a very limited outdoor since the number of triangles pushed...now you have a map 2k by 4k, hundreds of units, etc. Guys, it pushed the hardware that was meant to be the low end. Will CM2 raise the ante? Yep...but you better believe you will have to have a faster computer and faster video card. I am sure Charles/Steve can chip in and correct any mistakes factually.

Rune

There are tons of games out with great eye candy and dull game play.

CM has suitable graphics and outstanding gameplay. Between the 2 I'll take the game play any day.

There's a saying that after 3hours into a game, most players forget the graphics and concentrate on the game play.

If the game is based mainly on its appearance, then it will fail to hold your interest.

I know that as I play more and more I hardly notice the quality of the graphics, only as to how they help the game play.

The great sound fx more than makes up for any super graphic enhancements.

I think the gaming industry as a whole has got way too caught up in a games appearance and less in its other areas, such as sound fx, interface, and the all important gameplay.

Sure I would like to see better graphics, but not at the expense of any of the great parts of this game. smile.gif

------------------

-kill 'em all and let God sort them out-

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Greybeard 101st:

There's a saying that after 3hours into a game, most players forget the graphics and concentrate on the game play.

I know that as I play more and more I hardly notice the quality of the graphics, only as to how they help the game play.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

THat's me, anyway. I finally loaded QuickTime and saw the opening movie, and the graphics LOOK primitive, but since I KNOW what units are and WHY they're doing the things they're doing, I just don't notice. The MEANING breaks through and I don't need pretty graphics.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

Sure I would like to see better graphics, but not at the expense of any of the great parts of this game. smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The best part for me is that I'm using a primitive 8k graphics card. As soon as my brother in law gets that nVidia card, I'm a happy guy!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Greybeard 101st:

There are tons of games out with great eye candy and dull game play.

CM has suitable graphics and outstanding gameplay. Between the 2 I'll take the game play any day.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It doesn't have to be an 'either or' scenario. Part of the reason why I commented on the need for lighting is that it doesn't have to be a huge change. T&L isn't necessary. Certainly it needn't look as great as Quake3 and I agree on the scope and effects on the engine comments that have been raised.

Another reason why I don't think it would harm a future product is that Steve and Charles are obviously their own bosses and only need to subscribe to what they think their market will support. Therefore they can tweak features to their own set of standards, not just for the vain task of keeping up with huge studios. No store chains demanding this or that. If we don't like, we don't buy.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I think the gaming industry as a whole has got way too caught up in a games appearance and less in its other areas, such as sound fx, interface, and the all important gameplay.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. A compromise is in order.

Juardis - I understand your concern and why you let yourselfe focused on those reviewes.

Remember though - that many software companies got themselfe into the neck, in creating eyecandy, and thereby forgotten the important part of gameplay. Combat Mission have the best gameplay I had every seen since late '89. (when I purchased my first game:) Eventhough. CM is gona be fameous and hopefully among those candidates for the game of the year! We players should stay focused. Do other game suppliers forceing you to put CM beside for their game if these include better graphic? - No! Remember - Diablo II wasn't pretty either and it scored simulary as CM on GameSpot! And it had alot more focus of the gaming community than CM.

I say - don't fix anything not broken!

Best regards

Henrik Malmvig