OT: Why the Germans are unhappy...

This just in from Scottish scientists...

Why Germans are down in the mouth

BY MARK HENDERSON, SCIENCE CORRESPONDENT

SPEAKING English can help to cheer you up, but the mouth contortions of the umlaut may make Germans feel glum.

The muscle movements that are needed to make one of the German language's most characteristic sounds - the vowel with an umlaut - turn down the corners of the mouth and contort the face into a frown, a psychologist told the Royal Society of Edinburgh yesterday. According to David Myers, Professor of Psychology at Hope College, Michigan, frequent use of the muscles that the brain associates with sadness and frustration can depress the speaker's mood.

In English, the "e" and "ah" sounds, as in "bee" or "car", have the opposite effect, he claimed. They use the same muscles as smiles and laughter, and can lift the spirits.

"Research has shown the facial expression of a person can affect how funny they will find things like cartoons," said Professor Myers, who has just finished a sabbatical at the University of St Andrews. "Even when speaking, movements of the muscles in the face can change a person's mood. It is delightfully subtle. This could be a good reason why German people have got a reputation for being humourless and grumpy."

A spokesman for the German Embassy said: "We can give no comment on this as it is too scientific."

----------------

I don't understand it. With the Germans known worldwide for their wonderful sense of humor...

In English, the "e" and "ah" sounds, as in "bee" or "car", have the opposite effect, he

claimed. They use the same muscles as smiles and laughter, and can lift the spirits.

e such as in Bier or ah such as in Scheisse?

man, this is total hogwash. first of all, there isn't "one of the German language's most

characteristic sounds - the vowel with an umlaut - ", since it's three distinctly different Umlaute, namely Ä, Ö and Ü.

and then, all three of these sounds are used in the engluish language, too, even though they are writen different, of course.

Ö such as in "girl" or "Pittsburgh", Ä such as in "bad" or "Manhattan", and Ü such as in ...hmmm...toughie...I used to know an equivalent...hmm well the name Dupont comes to my mind but then again americans are usually unable to pronounce french as french...

well even if the americans due to a linguistic deficiency *g* don't have the Ü, well the french have way more Ü than the germans, they are full of Üs so to speak, and I don't see them being very depressed or grumpy.

mit freundlichen Grüssen,

M.Hofbauer

(proving with this post that indeed germans don't have any humor as he can't even let Chuchulainn's post pass uncommented as the humor it is)

Guest Michael emrys

I think the Germans may actually have a sense of humor, it's just that non-Germans find it pretty baffling. Take Andreas for example... wink.gif

Michael

[This message has been edited by Michael emrys (edited 08-24-2000).]

It is sad bud true; Us germans have no humour and smile or even lough only once or twice a year. Loosing more wars ( and football matches)than I even dare to count, we degenarated in a hard bitten, pessimistic bunch of Schnitzel Eaters.

Having sayed that, where the heck is the HKL?

------------------

Es gibt Tage da verliert man und Tage da gewinnen die anderen.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>This could be a good reason why German people have got a reputation for being humourless and grumpy.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> And what would be a good reason for the well known Scottish attibutes of being carefree, spendthrift and fun loving? The lovely weather perhaps?

Joe

Academicians, sheesh. It's a classic case of making an erroneous connection (there's a word for that that I can't remember). It almost sounds racist to me. Like all French must be snooty because they speak as if they got their fingers up their noses. Or that all Orientals must not like to smell because they speak like they are holding it. No, such generalizations are wrong and to so that Germans are dour because of they way they pronounce certain vowels? Hogwash.

Why don't learn/speak Spanish? I strongly encourage you to do it. We've got five vowels only (a, e, i, o, u). It's easy!!! smile.gif No ü, ö, ä and other unpronounceable vowels.

BTW English and French languages look pretty odd. Someone asked what can you expect from people who don't write like they speak and don't speak like they write? smile.gif

Guest Mirage2k

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Why don't learn/speak Spanish? I strongly encourage you to do it. We've got five vowels only (a, e, i, o, u). It's easy!!! No ü, ö, ä and other unpronounceable vowels. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No creo que español sea exento de reglas extrañas de gramática. ¡Yo necesitaba tres meses para comprender el subjuntivo!

(and I'm still not very good!)

-Andrew

------------------

Throw me a frickin' smiley, people!

Your one-stop-shop for gaming news is www.SiegersPost.com ! Hit it!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mirage2k:

¡Yo necesité tres meses para comprender el subjuntivo!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tu español está bastante bien. Me gustaría que mi inglés fuera parecido a tu español

Es curioso pero la verdad es que si yo tuviera que explicar a un americano cuando y como se debe de utilizar el subjuntivo, no sabría como hacerlo smile.gif

Cuchulainn wrote:

> According to David Myers, Professor of Psychology at Hope College, Michigan

> Any Scots about who would care to defend their scientists?

Last time I checked, Michigan was in America. He was just speaking in Scotland. Send him back where he came from, I say.

Some of what "scientists" and "psychologists" come up with is useful and interesting. Some of it is a load of crap. Unfortunately, in the latter case, they get listened to simply because they have "Dr" or "Prof" before their name. It really annoys me when newspapers print this kind of guff.

David

------------------

There's a splinter in your eye, and it reads REACT

Guest Mirage2k

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Es curioso pero la verdad es que si yo tuviera que explicar a un americano cuando y como se debe de utilizar el subjuntivo, no sabría como hacerlo smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mi maestro dijo exactamente este. Estoy seguro que inglés no es mucho mejor...

-Andrew

------------------

Throw me a frickin' smiley, people!

Your one-stop-shop for gaming news is www.SiegersPost.com ! Hit it!

Guest HENTZAU

I spent three years working outdoors in Scotland's rain. That was depressing, or maybe I was depressed because my ancestors were German. I was happy when my enlistment was up thats for sure!