I'm planning a major redo for the terrain graphics, since they look more like a miniatures setting or a peaceful garden than real life setting.

Have you also notice texture streching that occurs with buildings? I know this limitation in real time graphics (textures have to be in 32 pixel increments).

Yes a very old one can be found.

It has frames. I'm building a new one, but won't release it until it is in "top of the notch" condition. Computer generated graphis are always neat and clean. You have to add some wear and tear to bitmaps. Luckily they are in open bmp format and ca be edited quite easily. Roofs should cast shadowns to the walls below. it is the small details taht count! I will go to forest to snap some pictures of proper pine trees.

After seeing the decent terrain engine and the nice turn-based game play engine, I think that it would be well applied to a Napoleonic warfare game. That could lead onto ACW (though that market is quite saturated already), pike and musket, all the way to ancient warfare.

That is (with all due respect to the maker) if the code lends itself well to modability. I'm sure it wouldn't be as simple as changing the graphics library, AI and tables.

Oops. Did really lot of typos in my last mail. Like I had typed it with my nose.

All graphics and sound files are easy enough, but don't know about the excutables

since I'm not a die hard coder. I start with graphics first bitmaps and then 3D.

Guest Madmatt

Torni,

Be carerful with those shadows as they are gonna look mightly odd during a night or morning scenario. CM makes no distinction on the graphics it uses during low light situations so shadows ARENT something that can be done easily.

In order to do textures in CM you really need to think about ALL the conditions that they may appear and not just clear sky bright days.

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Proud members of the Combat Mission WebRing

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 07-16-2000).]

Don't worry most of the detail will end up into improved bitmap files anyway, like the improved grass, which was a major face lift.

With the 3D engine handling the light as it does, you have to fake it with style. With buildings shadows go to textures mostly. Lot of photoshopping! Luckily I've done this before. I test it first on my own computer before passing these things onwards ofcourse. They will end up on my new webpages CM part. (I'll pass the adress later on).

Guest Madmatt

Ok, fair enough...Good luck.

Besides...What do I know about graphics in CM?!?

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Proud members of the Combat Mission WebRing