Root of phrase "lock and load"

sage2

One always heres it in reference to modern assault rifles -- but this doesn't make any sense as one loads and THEN chambers a round, which is what the phrase is presumably in reference to.

I was wondering if it was in fact of older derivation: to "lock" or half-cock a muzzle loading rifle in preperation for loading powder, place a cap on the nipple etc... As I understand it these older mechanism used "half-cock" as a safety mechanism to assure that the weapon would not fire accidentally -- my presumption is there was some sort of detente.

Regardless -- does anyone have knowledge or sold evidence to back up the root of this phrase? I am quite curious.

Thanks!

Sage

Sage2 said:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I was wondering if it was in fact of older derivation: to "lock" or half-cock a muzzle loading rifle in preperation for loading powder, place a cap on the nipple etc... As I understand it these older mechanism used "half-cock" as a safety mechanism to assure that the weapon would not fire accidentally -- my presumption is there was some sort of detente.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think Blackhorse is correct. In the Marines, "lock" meant lock the bolt to the rear, even if you were unloading the weapon, such as "remove, clear, and lock". This means, remove magazine, clear the chamber, and lock the bolt to the rear.

As for muzzlestuffers, I don't know how Napolean's and Friedrich's boys did it, but I always mess with the lock LAST during loading. Simple reason: there is NO WAY it can fire with the hammer in the fired position, even if a little powder leaks out the touchhole during loading the main charge.

------------------

-Bullethead

Visit the brand new Raider Operations message board at www.delphi.com/raiderops

Main site www.historicalgames.bizland.com/index.html

The origin of "lock" came from the first matchlock and wheel lock muskets. The mechanisms used to ignite the charge of powder on these guns were very complicated pieces (for the time) of machinery, and the only people who could make them were lock makers, who naturally referred to them as the lock of the gun. Hence, the firing mechanism on guns became known as the lock.

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>The origin of "lock" came from the first matchlock and wheel lock muskets.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Yeeesss, that's correct but in the context of this thread I think the previous explanations of "locking" the bolt is more likely correct. However, the term "lock, stock and barrel" is taken from the original meaning of the term "lock" as in a fire, wheel, match, flint or caplock action.

Joe

Well, we weren't in the USMC, but for us it was 'load the magazine, chamer the round and then the mechanism is locked.' Using the wrong terms or getting this in the wrong order would fail us. This for the FAL. (The locking being performed by the breech block slide moving forward over the breech block)

I would have though that on a muzzle-loader, locking back the hammer would be the second-from last thing done. You still have to load the primer that the hammer strikes, and I can't see that one being done before the hammer is locked. (At least to the half-cocked position)... Then again, while they had us trained in on some pretty archaic equipment, matchlocks and flintlocks weren't amongst them!

NTM