Armor quality

Tanaka

Hi,

What does realy mean,for the game, "Armor Quality 85 %" ?

It means that the armor of a 101mm front turret behaves like it has 85.85 mmm ? Or it means that there is a 15% more chance of hiting a weak armor spot ?

If the correct is the last one , what is the chance of an hit on a weak armor spot of an armor with 100% quality?

Thanks,

João

Tanaka,

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Or it means that there is a 15% more chance of hiting a weak armor spot ?

If the correct is the last one , what is the chance of an hit on a weak armor spot of an armor with 100% quality?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think there is some chance (call it X) that represents the chance of a hit on a weak spot. X is possibly dependant on other factors as well as armor quality (such as vehicle facing), so it may not be possible to assign a base X for even a particular tank. One would think this might be a property of the plate, but I guess only Steve and Charles know for sure... Interesting nonetheless.

ianc

Guest Michael emrys

The last time I remember this issue coming up, someone said rather authoritively (though I don't remember who) that lower quality was equivalent to thinner armor.

Remember, lower quality doesn't just mean more likely to contain flaws, but also refers to its hardness, brittleness, etc.

Michael

[This message has been edited by Michael emrys (edited 09-24-2000).]

I would also like to know what are the effects of lower AQ excactly in the game.

The fact that I very seldom penetrate the Panther's front turret with the 76mm gun ( 763 m/s) at distances under 500 meters might make option #1 more likely. It would also explain to some extend the vulnerability of the Panthers main gun.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Schugger:

It would also explain to some extend the vulnerability of the Panthers main gun.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now when you say it... I just tested a scenario (in 1.05) with four Hetzers (85% quality armor) and they were EXTREMELY prone to get gun damage. I lost 3 of them to gun damage in 12 turns.

I just wonder if this is historically correct because it's affects these vehicles so strongly in CM. Getting gun damaged is pretty much same as getting KO'ed.

Ari

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ari Maenpaa:

Now when you say it... I just tested a scenario (in 1.05) with four Hetzers (85% quality armor) and they were EXTREMELY prone to get gun damage. I lost 3 of them to gun damage in 12 turns.

Ari<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bad luck. It happens. There was a long thread a couple weeks back about this. There were tests done (by myself) that showed that at a range of 700m the odds of a non-penetrating frontal hit taking out the gun are about 3%.

------------------

No, there will be no sequels. Charles and Steve have given up wargame design in disgust and have gone off to Jamaica to invest their new-found wealth in the drug trade. -Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ari Maenpaa:

I just wonder if this is historically correct because it's affects these vehicles so strongly in CM. Getting gun damaged is pretty much same as getting KO'ed.

Ari<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Ari

Recently there has been a quite heated debate about the gun damage thingie. I too had made some testings with CM ( they are pretty boring, aren't they?) and didn't get many gun hits.

IMO, gun hits are not that unlikely for several reasons:

From the front view of a tank the turret, gun mantlet and the barrel are the dominant features you see, moreso if the tank is in HD position.

There are several weak spots that, if they take damage, make the gun inoperable (optics for example.

I do honestly think that there is a big difference in the game between a tank with a useless main gun and one that is koed. First of all, your opponent didn't get any victory points and it still has it's bow and flexible MG. A mobile MG pillbox smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tanaka:

An elaborated bump

... Please, Steve, Charles can you clarify this:

(85% armor means)

1) 101mm armor=85.85mm armor

2) 15% more chance of hiting a weak armor spot.

Thanks,

João <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In this thread: http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/007180-2.html BTS said that it's a % reduction.