Old Age and Dirty Fighting Beats Youth and a Bad Haircut

I guess this is the flip side of the SS-Hamster thread, but I'm currently playing an operation as the Axis. Most of my troops are Volkssturm -- and they're kicking butt. I'm just wondering if the Volkssturm are a special case in terms of "unique characteristics"? I would have thought they'd be more prone to breaking and running than Heer troops, but maybe I'm wrong.

Perhaps the Volkssturm sharpshooter is Old Hartmut the Hunter who can drop a rabbit at 500 yards while knocking back a skin full of Asbach Uralt? Maybe the wrinkled old bag of bones behind that Panzerschreck is Jürgen "Tommykicker" Stahlhosen, famous for his single-handed charges of the British trenches at Ypres? Maybe they're just pissed off at getting knocked out so early in the Euro Cup?

Any enlightenment on this out there?

------------------

Ethan

-----------

Das also war des Pudels Kern! -- Goethe

[This message has been edited by Hakko Ichiu (edited 07-17-2000).]

Guest Germanboy

It is more likely than not related to the complete ineptness of the US commander who manages to squander tanks and whatnot as if there is no tomorrow. Rumour at Army HQ has it that he will soon be relieved and invited for a friendly chat with uncle George. More likely than not he will find out why uncle George carries a gun everywhere.

------------------

Andreas

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Germanboy:

And before I forget - what's that about the bad haircut eh?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, I was talking about the GIs. Hit a nerve there, did I?

------------------

Ethan

-----------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug Beman:

There's a book by PJ O'Rourke with a title similar to this thread, as well. That's what came into my mind first when I saw this thread.

DjB<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, the picture of PJ from his early days is pretty ghastly, but hey, it was the Seventies.

Who was it who said that good writers borrow and great writers plagiarize?

------------------

Ethan

-----------

Well Charles has made it clear that the only criteria for a units morale performance is it's experience level. A "green" SS-hamster will perform similar to a "green" Volkssturm. The only way to get "superior" morale performance out of troops is to up their experience level.

Which is quite sobering from a player-performance point of view (well, my performance POV). :^)