AVRE Blast Looks Puny

Hmm, I had or better suffered success of The AVRE petard in its own role: bunker and concrete buster. In a Wild Bill Wilder's scenario To the last Man, one of them can destroy my 75AT bunker with a direct frontal hit, then disloged an Infantry platoon from the heavy buildings that they held, shooting from safe distance round after rounds till it came in sight of my only 88. I think that this is the right way to employ, more now that the laterl bunker bug was removed

Guest Big Time Software

FYI, the projectile fired from the AVRE's petard mortar weighs 40 lbs, which makes it a little larger than a typical 105mm artillery shell. It's a shaped-charge, however, which means its overall blast is less, but its punching power (say, through a bunker's concrete wall) is greatly enhanced. In that sense it's like a monstrous panzerfaust.

Charles

The CM AVRE was designed for the Normandy landings only. It is a bunker and pil box buster. A range of tanks, all called AVREs were introduced for specific tasks. One of them is this tank modelled in CM. Others included flail tanks, flame throwers, bridge builders, and carpet layers.

They were owned and operated by the Royal Engineers for clearing beaches and other obstacles in preparation for the landing by infantry and armour.

The 'shell' of the petard mortar operated in a similar way to HEAT ammunition, where the main blast was 'directed' into the target. This would explain the small crater left by the bomb - the explosion was directed INTO the ground and not exploded around it.

Did you know that USArmy refused to use these weapons, even though they were offered by Britain for no expense? You may be able to tell which of the Armies - Commonwealth and US - was more successful on D-Day, partly due to the help of AVREs.

Hope this clears a few things up.

Steve.

Charles and Stevetherat, thanks for the info. This clears things up a bit.

I always thought the Churchill AVRE was made as an area fire tank that would be used in thick woods and cities where you could fire at a target and kill them without ever putting yourself in their LOS. Never even occured to me that it's purpose was a totally different one. I guess I got this idea while using it in CC2 since it was so effective in this role. David, no need for a sarcastic remark here... wink.gif

------------------

Youth is wasted on the young.