TacAI vacating damaged buildings

I just finished playing my first game with 1.1 and saw(I think) the 'improved' TacAI's behaviour in leaving damaged buildings. I know some people wanted this but I would have liked this decision to stay in the player's hands. In my game I had a platoon in buildings, no other cover around, who were holding their own, no panic or anything, until the buildings became damaged(*). At that point they all vacated, only to get cut down in the open. One squad even tried to go back to a building just to leave it again. I realize this is only one game but from what I saw it isn't something I care for. The platoon would have been better off just staying where it was. I will have to play more to see a general trend. Anyone else care to comment?

I tend to agree. I have at times made deliberate decisions to send a squad, frequently bazooka teams, into damaged buildings because it was the only way to sneak up on an enemy tank.

Now I wonder whether I should use heavily damaged buildings to buffer my tanks from anti-tank teams.

Will the Russians and Germans, in CM,2 immediately abandon a position in a damaged building in Stalingrad? I think not.

It's a calculated risk and one I do not make often but I would have preferred it be left with the squad leader.

Guest KwazyDog

Just so you know guys, the Tac AI is being smarter here than what you probably think. A couple of point which should be of interest.

* The tac ai will leave a light building with * star *if* there is a chance that a large blast could knock the building down in one shot.

* The Tac AI will only check to see if it should leave a building *after* each hit the building takes. This means that there is no problem with moving a unit into a damaged building.

Guys, its one thing to say it should be up to the leader to decide wether to stay or go, but also remember this is to represent a self preservation instinct of your troops.

Dan

The other night before the patch, I was playing a game and the building my squads occupied had two(**) on it. I knew, but kept them there because it was a prime spot for targeting attacking infantry crossing the bridge next to it. I took the chance and they survived.

It got me thinking about all the discussions I had read about them not being smart enough to vacate when a building was damaged. And I was happy that they did not because it was a key position and critical to my success in stopping the enemy advance. To give you an idea one squad had 26 kills, 4 captures and two vehicle knockouts.

It's a hard argument all the way around. But you must look at it through the eyes of the soldiers, if you were in a building and you saw the roof sagging inward and the walls buckling would you want to stay? But also one (*) should'nt drive a squad to run from shelter into certain death either.

Hopefully it was just the game you were playing.

ok well, there are some good answers from Dan..snuck in on me while I was typing smile.gif

Mord.

[This message has been edited by Mord (edited 11-29-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KwazyDog:

* The tac ai will leave a light building with * star *if* there is a chance that a large blast could knock the building down in one shot.

does this mean if it's a heavy building the tac ai won't vacate the building? or does this mean any building that has a chance of being crumpled by the next 155mm round (or appropriately large round) will be vacated?

* The Tac AI will only check to see if it should leave a building *after* each hit the building takes. This means that there is no problem with moving a unit into a damaged building.

Does the tac ai take into account the type of round that hit it and assume that that same type of round will hit it again? For example, a 75mm tank round hits a building and say it finally damages the building but it will take 3 more 75mm hits to crumble it. But if a 155mm came along, maybe that one shot will take it down. So, does the tac ai assume the next round will be a 75mm round since that is all that's been firing at the building or does it assume there is a hummel out there that could fire the next round?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------

Jeff Abbott

Guest KwazyDog

Hi Jeff, I ran you questions past Charles and here is the response.... smile.gif

>does this mean if it's a heavy building the tac ai won't vacate the

>building? or does this mean any building that has a chance of being crumpled

>by the next 155mm round (or appropriately large round) will be vacated?

In an infantry unit is in a building that gets hit, it asks itself, "Should I leave?".

The answer will be yes if the building is now a ** OR is damaged enough that it could be flattened by one more heavy hit.

>Does the tac ai take into account the type of round that hit it and assume

>that that same type of round will hit it again?

No.

Dan

If a building was threatening to collapse on your head you might decide to vacate it too, orders from above notwithstandng. It seems utterly reasonable that the TACAI should undertake this decision from time to time. And last night I had a building collapse around the ears of a pair of squads, and tehy stuck with it, so again YMMV.

Los