weapons

This game looks great! But do american infantry use anything else other than carbines/garands? Do they use BARs? thompsons? thx. And how many different types of infantry units are there?

------------------

Sarge I cant feel my legs!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Aitken:

All the weapons typically used in the war are there. Your basic infantry squad carries the small arms, and there are separate teams for mortars, bazookas and the like.

It's all there (I mean everything, and that includes elephants). Now buy the game! =)

David<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

O.K. here's one for you David that I believe the game doesn't model yet I understood were quite common, the American "Grease Gun" SMG...I've yet to see it mentioned anywhere among the American squads I have played. Please corect me if I'm wrong though & if you can point out where I would appreciate it. wink.gif

Regards

Jim R.

Her's some interesting numbers-

Thompson SMG (M1A1):

Weight: 4.82 kg empty

Dimensions: length 813 mm, barrel 266 mm

Muzzle velocity: 277 mps

Effective Range: 150 m

RoF: 700 rpm

Grease Gun SMG (M3A1):

Weight: 3.47 kg empty

Dimensions: length 757 mm, barrel 266 mm

Muzzle velocity: 280 mps

Effective Range: 150 m

RoF: 450 rpm

Both fired a .45 caliber ACP round.

One final note- The Thompson was notorios for having a very uncomfortable stock. It was too long for sustained practical use (aiming).

------------------

Ah scheist.

The answer was "most of them are in there". BARs and Thompsons are included in the appropriate unit's detailed info, if you press Enter with squad highlighted, just like the K98s, MP44s, MP40s, and MG42s in the German squads.

A comprehensive answer would just take too long to research and type out. There are Brens and Stens and Lee-Enfields, Vickers, M1919s, M2 .50 cals., and others. Oddball stuff or sidearms are not included or are generically modeled.

There are 6 national armies represented and within them are Paratroops, Gliders, Fallschirmjaeger, Gebirgsjaeger, Waffen SS, Volkssturm, and all the regulars plus French and Polish.

If you have a specific request, post it, and someone will know.

[This message has been edited by Mark IV (edited 08-13-2000).]

Dan Weaver wrote:

> Simple economics.

Oh yeah, I know why THAT decision was made - I was thinking more about why BTS chose the Tommy over the greaser, besides liking it more. =)

The grease gun was basically the American equivalent of the Sten - never mind your professional craftsmanship, we want guns, and we want LOTS of 'em! Never mind whether they WORK or not...

Oh, and a bit of trivia because I feel like it - the Sten and the Bren were both made at the Enfield weapons factory, hence the latter part of both their names. The former part is the initials of their designers. Thankfully the Bren was at completely the opposite end of the quality scale.

Had my hands on a Bren once... pity it was too big to pocket and run off with. =(

David

[This message has been edited by David Aitken (edited 08-13-2000).]