Strange behaviour, or was it?

bigmac

PBEM match (my first...GOD I LOVE THIS GAME!!!) and observed something unexpected. I had maneuvered my Daimler SC behind a house due to the presence of multiple halftracks. Next turn had it reverse down a slope and out of site in front of a copse of tall pines. Set it to "rotate to" face an elevated road which would expose said halftracks to me should they venture down the road as they passed in front of the house. Well, surprise surprise, the Daimler starts up the hill following the path laid down by my "rotate to" command... Directly into the path of a green 'Shrekt team. One shot from 150m later, one dead Daimler. eek.gif Now, I've used this "rotate to" command many times, but have never observed the unit to proceed along the path as if it were a move command. Is this normal or was this some type of fluke? confused.gif It is my impression that the rotate to command doesn't involve any movement with the exception of spinning in place to face the indicated direction. Regardless, this is the most awesome game I've EVER had the pleasure of playing. Anyone that would venture a piece of Big Mac can bring it... tongue.gif I don't mind playing allies at all either...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bigmac:

PBEM match (my first...GOD I LOVE THIS GAME!!!) and observed something unexpected. I had maneuvered my Daimler SC behind a house due to the presence of multiple halftracks. Next turn had it reverse down a slope and out of site in front of a copse of tall pines. Set it to "rotate to" face an elevated road which would expose said halftracks to me should they venture down the road as they passed in front of the house. Well, surprise surprise, the Daimler starts up the hill following the path laid down by my "rotate to" command... Directly into the path of a green 'Shrekt team. One shot from 150m later, one dead Daimler. eek.gif Now, I've used this "rotate to" command many times, but have never observed the unit to proceed along the path as if it were a move command. Is this normal or was this some type of fluke? confused.gif It is my impression that the rotate to command doesn't involve any movement with the exception of spinning in place to face the indicated direction. Regardless, this is the most awesome game I've EVER had the pleasure of playing. Anyone that would venture a piece of Big Mac can bring it... tongue.gif I don't mind playing allies at all either...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd say almost certainly you inadvertantly gave the Daimler a reverse command by mistake (ie. hotkey "R" is in fact reverse whilst "O" is rotate to) so your armoured car happily reversed up the slope towards the Panzerschrek team! That's my reading of the situation.

Regards

Jim R.

------------------

Inspector: "Does your derg bite?"

Dog Owner: "No, my dog does not bite"

Inspector: "Good derggie (pat, pat...growl- snap!)... Yeeow! I thought you said your derg does not bite!"

Dog Owner: "That is not my dog".

PBEM match (my first...GOD I LOVE THIS GAME!!!) and observed something unexpected. I had maneuvered my Daimler SC behind a house due to the presence of multiple halftracks. Next turn had it reverse down a slope and out of site in front of a copse of tall pines. Set it to "rotate to" face an elevated road which would expose said halftracks to me should they venture down the road as they passed in front of the house. Well, surprise surprise, the Daimler starts up the hill following the path laid down by my "rotate to" command... Directly into the path of a green 'Shrekt team. One shot from 150m later, one dead Daimler. eek.gif Now, I've used this "rotate to" command many times, but have never observed the unit to proceed along the path as if it were a move command. Is this normal or was this some type of fluke? confused.gif It is my impression that the rotate to command doesn't involve any movement with the exception of spinning in place to face the indicated direction. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have seen the type of behavior you describe happen maybe two or three times. If I recall correctly, in each case I had set a rotate to command that extended a long way, i.e. I was trying to line up with something in the distance.

Actually, the first time this happened, a Tank Destroyer charged down a hill and took out a Panther from VERY close range and then moved on (and I definitely had indicated rotate at the end of fast move, hunt, rotate). Since the game was new to me then, I thought maybe the TacAI was using some cool move that I didn't understand. However, it has happened once or twice subsequently, so I stopped making long rotate to lines.

Are you using version 1.05? For some reason, I thought maybe the problem had already been fixed.

Dan

Thanks guys, but I think the Doc answered it. No Jim, I know I didn't inadvertantly give it another reverse command. He drove straight into his doom, with his best face forward. I'm using 1.05, but I did indeed stretch out the "rotate to" selection to "ensure" rolleyes.gif that he was facing exactly where I wanted him to. Take this one to heart guys (and gals). Don't over extend your "rotate to" or baaaaaad things may happen. biggrin.gif

Well, if this is the only "problem" I encounter in playing this digital form of crack, then you guys at BTS will get away with a stern face directed in your general direction... breaking into a beaming, sh*t eating grin at the realization that I'm enjoying gaming Nirvana!!! Keep it up fellas!

Bob

My personal experience is to never use the "rotate to" command.

Instead of rotate to, I will almost alway use a VERY short (just a few meters) "hunt" command at the end of my movement path to ensure that my unit it now facing the direction that I want it to. I will order the unit to target the enemy unit I want it to fire at (even when it has no LOS to that unit) (I've read this helps them place the correct AP or HE round in the breach) then I will move the the tank (move fast or move) and set up the path and way points and then right at the end I will use hunt where you might use "rotate to" so that the Tac AI will have the opportunity to spot, target and shoot some bigger thread I did not see when I plotted the move, otherwise my tank have a valid target that I orignally set.

I'm not a fan of the "rotate to" command for vechicles. If you leave them at the end of their move with a hunt command the Tac AI will do a VERY good job of automatically making sure their heavily armoured frontal aspect faces the greatest threat they can see.

That is my experience anyway.

-tom w

Hey! Thanks Tom. Great advice. It makes terrific sense to me so I will most assuredly use the method you're prescribing. Happy hunting.... BTW, I've been lurking since I tried the demo a month or so ago (with the obvious upgrade path to full version immediately following...). You are one that I would consider a CM vet... How bout a round at PBEM so you can show me how soundly us newbie's may be thrashed, while allowing me to exercise my new found wink.gif technique?

I too have had this same experience when stretching long lines for rotates. I run on an imac, don't know if this is a Mac only phenomena. It is frustrating to have your machine go off into the hinterland, often to its doom.

Well, kmead, it most certainly isn't a Mac only thing. I'm running on a WinTel (you can run games on the Mac?). biggrin.gif

------------------

"Some of the TRUE NAMES are BIG MACS and some are SMALL FRIES. Much larger

points are awarded for exposing the BIG MACS, but some points are available

for SMALL FRIES. BIG MACS are famous people on the Internet--people that no one

would expect have snakes and tentacles, or have media stories written about

them. Massive points are awarded for BIG MAC exposures."

--info-futures@world.std.com

Hey! Thanks Tom. Great advice. It makes terrific sense to me so I will most assuredly use the method you're prescribing. Happy hunting.... BTW, I've been lurking since I tried the demo a month or so ago (with the obvious upgrade path to full version immediately following...). You are one that I would consider a CM vet... How bout a round at PBEM so you can show me how soundly us newbie's may be thrashed, while allowing me to exercise my new found wink.gif technique?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks bigmac, I'm sorry that I'm unavailable for any more PBEM's until about mid Oct. I will be happy to get into a good battle with you if by then. Maybe if we are lucky we will have TCP/IP by the smile.gif

if we are lucky, thanks for your compliments, but there are many who have been around here long before me, and while I may post alot and can be, at times, highly opinionated and outspoken, there are many here who are FAR more knowledgeable about WWII military history, tactics and vehicles than myself.

But I do really, really enjoy this game and play it everyday.

Thanks, we'll stay in touch.

-tom w