Suggestion for Weighted Accuracy of Guns

The setup - an Ostwind(37mm) is to the side or rear of an M4, about 200m distant. I command the unit to bring the Sherman under fire, knowing that a hull hit can kill the M4.

The result - what appears to hit distribution based upon the relative side and rear areas (i.e. between the turret/upper hull/lower hull)

Question - I cannot search up the manner in which CM models hits on armoured targets. Does CM first calculate whether a hit has occured and then base the location on the ratio of area visible to LOS? Shouldn't the Ostwind etc... aim for the vulnerable areas?

Suggestion - Heat-of-battle not withstanding, the shot fall should be weighted towards were a unit would be aiming.

Factoid - I have fired the German 20mm FLACK cannon (from the back of a pickup!) and with the iron site had no problem hitting a 2 foot bullseye from 200-300m.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Claymore:

I have fired the German 20mm FLACK cannon (from the back of a pickup!) and with the iron site had no problem hitting a 2 foot bullseye from 200-300m.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And just where might one get the opportunity to do that? I would be highly interested (have hearing protection, and some money). I see you're in Pasadena... I go through there every couple weeks. Drop me an email, please!

CM has a very simple hit model.

If the AI is firing on you then it always hits the weakest point on your armor, If YOU firing on AI, then you always hit the thickest part of the armor.

See really simple!

(p.s. sorry for the bad humor!)

------------------

Veni, vidi, panzerschrecki

Well ya see I'm originally from the Detroit area and my wife's family are both well-off and gun collectors. My uncle-in-law (who lives next to Aretha Franklin) owns a tool and die shop and is the principle gun fool. He owns a number of weapons including the aformentioned 20mm. I have a picture of my sister-in-law firing the 20mm from the back of his pickup down in Kentucky. (I can scan it and send it if asked) There is a site (Knob Hill) which 4-6 times/year has people from all over come with their guns/cannon/tanks and brew up all manner of junk. I have seen a triple mount of 7.62miniguns, a 20mm vulcan, numerous M2, MG42 and 1917s. There was also an appearance of a functional M5 Stuart at one gathering. Mon Uncle currently has a 88mm in his shop. He purchased one from Europe but did not have the rubber bits (degraded) so he arranged a trade with the Patton museum for theirs. He gave them a Ladi (?sp?) (20mm anti-tank rifle) for the rubber bits.

Cheers

Guest Michael emrys

BTW, on the subject of 88s, I read in sci.military.moderated a few days back that Finland is expected to put a bunch up for sale in the not-too-distant future. I think these are coast defense guns and may or may not bear a lot of resemblance to the German variety. Some of our Finnish correspondents may be able to clear this up. But hey, this could be your chance! biggrin.gif

Michael