Quick Battle Question ("I did search...honestly")

I find I am wasting a lot of points when using human unit selection.

The game seems to allow you to spend so many points per unit category (eg, infantry, weapons teams, etc). However, if a platoon costs slightly more than half the allocation for that category, I end up wasting the balance.

Is there any way to pick the extra platoon (for example), then delete a squad to get the spent points slightly below the allocated points? I can't seem to select or delete parts of units even though the points for that part are shown individually.

I wasn't able to when I checked a minute ago. So i guess the answer is no, unless someone a bit more experienced with the game finds a way. I believe one can only delete the full platoon (by clicking on the HQ and then deleting).

------------------

unca pathy will show ya the path,

if only he could find it himself!

Yes you have to be careful to buy the right combination of units which will use as many of your points as possible and still field an effective non-jalopy force. Particularly considering the limitations on how much you can spend on each category. However I find there are many cheap support and vehicle units which can round out your force and use up those last few points. Many times I come within a couple of points of using it all. Manipulating the experience level is also a good tool as this can have a large effect on unit cost, enabling you to squeeze in the most bang for the buck. For instance, why buy a veteran halftrack when you really need veteran status on some infantry.

Ren

Guest Michael emrys

Is it possible to vary the experience level for each category? I've been laboring under the impression that you had to choose a single level for your entire force.

Michael

You can choose the experience level for each unit. Select "Regular", and any units picked with be Regular. Then select "Veteran", and any further units you purchase will be veterans. Switch back and forth as needed.

FYI - I have found that veteran AT guns are worth their weight in gold.

I must be missing something.

I set up a QB with 1000 pts., Axis Green, Allied attacker, Attacker +200%. I picked Volkssturm, combined arms, Feb 45, snow. I also gave the 'puter a +1 Combat experience for good measure and thus expect to be massacred.

However, when it was time to pick units, I could only pick infantry and support vehicles. No armor, no artillery. But lots and lots of Panzerschrecks. No mixing of unit experience ('course, Volkssturm rarely got to veteran status). It did not appear as though the individual units could be tweaked much. Is this because I picked Volkssturm?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark IV:

It did not appear as though the individual units could be tweaked much. Is this because I picked Volkssturm?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would be my bet; I wouldn't expect these troops, that amounted to little more than local defense forces/militia, to have access to artillery or tanks.

------------------

After witnessing exceptional bravery from his Celtic mercenaries, Alexander the Great called them to him and asked if there was anything they feared. They told him nothing, except that the sky might fall on their heads.

I set up a Quick Battle. Me on assault with 5000 points and the attacker at +200% bonus.

I had 31500 points to play with and managed to spend 31498 of them.

About the topic of wasting points. Given that there is likely SOMETHING that is either cheap or closely fits in to the points remaining, I can usually (usually meaning four times. I've only had the game for a day) get close to my total points.

I don't get what I wanted initially, but it makes the force structure more interesting.

Jason

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by guachi:

I set up a Quick Battle. Me on assault with 5000 points and the attacker at +200% bonus.

I had 31500 points to play with and managed to spend 31498 of them.

Jason <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lord, what kind of force did you put together with almost 32,000 points? smile.gif

------------------

After witnessing exceptional bravery from his Celtic mercenaries, Alexander the Great called them to him and asked if there was anything they feared. They told him nothing, except that the sky might fall on their heads.

Guest Michael emrys

His opponent must have really dumped in his pants when he saw a complete Panzer division come over the crest. smile.gif

Michael

Mark IV,

I think you may have set the type of forces to mechanized. In that event, you get no armor. Can't remember for sure, but I think you also get no arty, just infantry and support.

------------------

"Sometimes you eat the bar and sometimes the bar eats you. Take it easy, Dude." -- The Stranger

The Dude abides.

One benefit to having my game shipped late was that I got v1.02, which has the Quick Battle max points bumped up to 5000.

in the 31500 point game I played as Allies and bought the most expensive units I could - elite Pershings (about 350 pts each or so). Otherwise the map would hvae been littered with units. (Actually, I would have run into a max unit limit) I ran into the limit while trying to get a full regiment of British Infantry. i couldn't get all of the third battalion on the purchase screen.

Heck, even 5000 points seems lke too many points, unless you buy a bunch of armor. I tried to buy a mechanized battalion of infantry and was awash in units. There were just too many units to make it interesting.

Jason

Guest Michael emrys

Not only that, it's a real pain to have to assign orders to more than about two companies' worth of units, IMHO.

Michael

One benefit to having my game shipped late was that I got v1.02, which has the Quick Battle max points bumped up to 5000.

in the 31500 point game I played as Allies and bought the most expensive units I could -

Jason<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whoa, wait a minute, guy, I thought I was smilingly pointing out a typo, and I think I still am...You're claiming you actually had Thirty One Thousand, Five Hundred points to use? In other words, better than 6 times the 5,000 points you mention elsewhere? Or do you mean 3,500 points (read, Thirty Five Hundred points)? I mean, at a limit of 32,000 points, with an American Rifle Battalion being @2,400, you should be able to do something on the order of an Infantry division (minus support units). Are we on the same math scale here? Please review your post!

------------------

I really did have 31500 points.

5000 point game

Assault scenario (x2.1) = 10500 points

Attacker has +200% bonus (x3.0) = 31500 points

Jason<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ohmigod! Should have read your initial post closer, missed that bit about the +200% !

------------------