FlashPoint 1985

Just stumbled across this cool.gif looking game: Operation FlashPoint 1985

Very appropriate when one considers the resent posts about cooperative mode. Definitely a thing to consider seriously for CM2. Man! just saying the 'words Combat Mission II' instantly gives you that distant dreaming look in your eyes.

Regards

Frans. smile.gif

P.S.: Have you all tried the SpellChecker.Net thing that is available before you submit your post "vorgs grate" as DesertFox would have put it. A must for us foreigners.

[This message has been edited by HawkerT (edited 10-27-2000).]

This ROCKS!

Seriously

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/video/clasified.mpeg

IT is a BIG 24 meg download

but it is FULL if first person shooter combat EYE CANDY

its like CM sort of, but it is VERY pretty and it shows individual tanks, helicopters and Men running around with good explosions and REALLY nice terrain buidlings and scenery

this one has very cool 3D combat battle graphics. It only plays on a PC so I can't play it on my Mac but I would like to. This one could (maybe) make you look differnently at CM. It is in 3D and it the perspective in the 24 meg mpeg video download was like camera view one from one infantry soldier and it was VERY well done.

if you like GREAT graphics and good animated combat battle footage, with tanks helicoters explosions and infantry, give this one a look!

-tom w

they say this about themselves:

"Operation Flash Point is a tactical combat action war game. It offers the player an unprecedented freedom of action integrating command of large squads and use of any available vehicles with total immersion. Player can experience the best cold war military equipment - infantry, mobile, armor and aircraft - in

large and detailed 3D environment.

The game contains a single nonlinear campaign, built in full featured mission editor and multiplayer combat.

It is the year 1985. After Leonid Brezhnevs death in 1982, the Soviet Union went through two short-lived Premiers until Mikhail Gorbachev came along in

1985. As the new General Secretary of the Communist Party of Soviet Union, he represented a new wave in Soviet policy, and started a "glasnost" as he

promoted "perestroika".

Immediately after the designation of Gorbachev as the leader of the country, a strong opposition was raised. Many people from the leading structures of the

country refused the new government and massive chaos ensued. Army and security forces were paralyzed and chaos reigned in the Soviet Union. After a

few days, the central government managed to establish order in most of the country but the situation in many places remained absolutely unclear. Many

pockets of resistance against the new government had already been formed and the central government lost real power in many regions of the sprawling

country.

General Ivan Vasilii Guba, a leader of the Third Army located on an island called Kolgujev, refused to serve the new central generality in Moscow. He firmly

believes in the old communist ideas and wants to keep the old order in the country. He presently controls a well-equipped modern army. This situation is very

dangerous due to the strategically important location of Kolgujev - it is located in an area composed of three islands Kolgujev, St. Pierre, and Malden: Kolgujev

is a part of the Soviet Union, St. Pierre has an independent republic on it, and Malden serves as a military base for NATO. And even worse: Guba controls

some nuclear weapons. The new Soviet government is unable to do anything about this flash point at the moment. US president Ronald Reagan met the new

Soviet leader and the result is that international NATO force would help to keep the peace in the area. It is time for Ian to become a part of the history."

here's a preview

http://www.3dgaming.net/stuff/quickie/33100.shtml

Flash Point: Status Quo 1985

There has been a tasty surplus of tactical-combat shooters these days. Developers are all getting their act together and

hooking us up with heaping helpings of people food. The newest platter of goodness on the table is an upcoming title

named Flash Point.

Flash Point is a shooter that takes place in the dark days of the cold war. You play an

ex-helicopter pilot named Ian Gastovski. For many years Ian served in the Soviet

Army, but things went sour and eventually he was exiled. I presume this is because

he liked to fly wearing only a pink tutu and an Indian chief's headdress.

Flash Point is going to be a squad game and the player will be able to command as

many as eleven soldiers. The soldiers will be given different specialties and tools to

complete their tasks. For instance, if you choose a sniper, you will be granted better

camouflage gear then you would have if you were a point man. Need to clear a

dangerous field? Grab your Mine Soldier and clean up. Thinking of storming a building?

Better take along some soldiers and support them with a heavy machine-gunner.

The missions are going to be in vast environments with lots of eye candy. The levels are full of photo realistic details

and a heightened ability to use the surroundings for concealing your forces. If you have ever tried to hide behind a thick

wall of trees in another game, only to find that the enemy could somehow see through it, then you will be happy to

know that your troops will be much safer in this game if they squat behind a tree. The levels will also be non-linear with

you being the primary deciding factor on how you will finish them.

But what about vehicles, is that what you are thinking? Well, this game has a bunch. If

you want to grab a jeep, it's yours. Need some armor around you? There is an

M1Abrams in the backyard with your name on it. Maybe you are the sea-faring type,

hop on a boat and take out the bad guys' pirate-style. If none of that suits you, climb

into a helicopter and do your work from there, or just zip line out of the helicopter for a

laugh.

Another good thing about this game is that it is coming at us with a brand new engine

called Real Virtuality. This is a good thing. I am tired of seeing every new game come

out with the old stand-by. Hey, look, a new game… using the Quake engine… oh,

new… huh? Anyway, let's hope this is the tactical shooter that has the balls and the

gameplay to turn the light on and off and make all of us little puppies wag our tails in pure doggie joy.

-Thomas Soles

Quickie Archive

I've looked at this game before but it wasn't so far along. I know Shandorf will be there with me on the ground. 1 wow for the screenshots. 1 Wow for the mpegs. 10 wows if they pull this off.

------------------

Seen in the light of evolution, biology is, perhaps, intellectually the most satisfying and inspiring science. Without that light it becomes a pile of sundry facts—some of them interesting or curious but making no meaningful picture as a whole.

-Theodosius Dobzhansky, "Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution"

It looks interesting and an MPEG from the game showed some very nice graphics (love that gun smoke and recoil from the firing T-72). I suspect that the playing enviroment is probably fixed (one battleground or at least not a user configurable one) and the number of units to be manipulated/commanded is going to be fairly small (a platoon of individual grunts and less than a dozen AFVs/vehicles/helos). Otherwise it looks graphically beautiful. I wonder how good the underlying engine is in duplicating realistic gunnery, etc.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

It looks interesting and an MPEG from the game showed some very nice graphics (love that gun smoke and recoil from the firing T-72). I suspect that the playing enviroment is probably fixed (one battleground or at least not a user configurable one) and the number of units to be manipulated/commanded is going to be fairly small (a platoon of individual grunts and less than a dozen AFVs/vehicles/helos). Otherwise it looks graphically beautiful. I wonder how good the underlying engine is in duplicating realistic gunnery, etc.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

" I suspect that the playing enviroment is probably fixed (one battleground or at least not a user configurable one"

not true, so says their promo on the web site

check this out:

"Operation Flash Point is a tactical combat action war game. It offers the player an unprecedented freedom of action integrating command of large squads and use of any available vehicles with total immersion. Player can experience the best cold war military equipment - infantry, mobile, armor and aircraft - in large and detailed 3D environment.

The game contains a single nonlinear campaign, built in full featured mission editor and multiplayer combat."

WOW is all I can say AND

Too damn bad there is NO Mac Version frown.gif

-tom w

aka_tom_w - I suspect that you can't make your own maps is probably a more accurate rendering of my impression of the game. I may very well be wrong - but that's the impression I get from the site. Maybe they'll publish the specs for creating more maps or provide additional ones after the game is published. I'm guessing that the mission editor is probably something more along the lines of selecting force composition, game length and other variables. The terrain will probably remain the same, but there appears to be 3 maps of a little over 100sq km. Not bad, but it would be nice to create your own terrain.

Having just watched the MPEG, I wholeheartedly agree that the graphics are awesome.

I would like to learn how accuratly real-world physics is modelled. To CM standards???

------------------

I said ... Put the bunny down!

[This message has been edited by Cuchulainn (edited 10-27-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

aka_tom_w - I suspect that you can't make your own maps is probably a more accurate rendering of my impression of the game. I may very well be wrong - but that's the impression I get from the site. Maybe they'll publish the specs for creating more maps or provide additional ones after the game is published. I'm guessing that the mission editor is probably something more along the lines of selecting force composition, game length and other variables. The terrain will probably remain the same, but there appears to be 3 maps of a little over 100sq km. Not bad, but it would be nice to create your own terrain.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The way the site reads, they'll be offering a full editor so that you'll have 100% freedom with map creation.

------------------

Seen in the light of evolution, biology is, perhaps, intellectually the most satisfying and inspiring science. Without that light it becomes a pile of sundry facts—some of them interesting or curious but making no meaningful picture as a whole.

-Theodosius Dobzhansky, "Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution"

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Elijah Meeks:

The way the site reads, they'll be offering a full editor so that you'll have 100% freedom with map creation.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats the way I read it as well.

And yes it would be very interesting to learn

what kind of armour penetration model and what kind of real life 3D physics model that are using.

But no doubt about it, the game looks COOL!

Stunning graphics and high quality character animation on those soldiers running around.

Now All I want to know is when can I run it on my MAC?

(short answer NEVER, because they don't care about our smallish 10% of the the market)

oh well

I'm VERY happy with CM and play it all the time.

-tom w