Grosshau ridge any one understand what happens?

OK i just got the game and i decided to play the missions before the operations and i decided to do it by completing the shortest ones first and moving up.

In Grosshau Ridge an aircraft comes and drops two bombs on german troops and then straffs the american troops. what is this???i played it for both sides and it happend the same way. It first levels the germans whoever may be running to the ridge and then straffs the german tank and the american troops.

Just a confused piolet?

Air support is added by the scenario designer.

I think it should be noted that in WWII front line troops didn't "get on the horn" and "call in" air support.

The aircraft that you "saw" was in the area and attacked targets of opportunity. Pretty common occurance in the time frame the CM portrays.

"Search and destroy boys!"

[This message has been edited by Phoenix (edited 12-30-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Phoenix (edited 12-30-2000).]

Finished reading a unit history of the 743rd Tank Battalion not too long ago, in which the tankers are constantly (as in at least once a week for a couple of hectic months in '44) being strafed by their own AC.

In one rather frustrating incident, they saw the P-47's lining up for their run, and hurried to lay out the aircraft identification panels they'd been supplied with after the last "friendly" fire attack --- only to have the jabos strafe them anyway!

And yes, the AC in CM don't differentiate between friend and foe too well either...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Phoenix:

I think it should be noted that in WWII front line troops didn't "get on the horn" and "call in" air support.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought tanks in Normandy were able to call up fighters. The tank crewman were forward air observers. They would tell a fighter where to go, or tell someone who was in communication with the fighter and they would be sent to the General area and told what to hit, according to Steven Ambrose in one of his books.

[This message has been edited by ntg84 (edited 12-30-2000).]

IIRC, USAAF and RAF air support could and was called in FO style by special teams. The US eventually installed some radios in tanks that operated on aircraft frequencies to facilitate calling in airstrikes. Finally, aerial FOs in Pipers and Stimsons could call in jabos. The key to getting air cover on call seemed to be whether aircraft were orbiting in the vicinity of the FO awaiting strike orders. And, yes, own goals were fairly common, particularly when procedures were not fully developed.

Somewhere, I think I read about the percentage of tactical air missions that were called versus the percentage that were strikes on targets of opportunity.

By the bye, I'd love to see Piper FOs buzzing around in CM:BO.